Did I ruin my chances of getting into engineering?

Ever since I dropped out of HL math into SL math, I've been kind of regretting my decision. Everyone has told me that Ontario universities won't check if you did HL or SL. I was in HL for a little over a month and was getting a 4-ish average (could have gone up to a 5 if I stayed longer). I thought to myself why would I do HL if I can get an easy 7 in SL? The decision was quick and no one I asked disagreed with my reasoning. But then later on teachers begun saying "Math HL is really meant for people who want to go into a math related career" when I told them I dropped out of HL. WHAT. So now all of a sudden it seems like I actually screwed myself over by dropping out of HL. I was however lucky enough to find an old copy of the Haese math textbook, and I plan to go over it this summer and study it alongside SL too. Is the thing about Ontario universities not caring about SL vs HL true? Will going over the HL textbook in my own time make up for my loss at least a little? Have my chances of getting into an engineering program gone down?

Thanks.

I took SL math and got an early offer to Waterloo. So yea, they take SL math and they really don't care.

Waterloo is notorious for not giving a damn about IB. They don't even have an IB cutoff because they don't like using those grades. Instead they use Ontario grades (I'm assuming you live in province). So the trick really is to take the math you can get the highest mark in. There's no special treatment for HL math kids over SL math if the HLs have lower marks.

Id still review the HL concepts though. SL doesn't teach enough and all the SL math kids in my engineering program got really terrible marks because of that. But dropping HL? Probably the smartest thing you can do if you're aiming for that high average.

Any university in Ontario will take SL math. If you have specific/personal questions just send me a message

• Like 1

Check if you get the MCV 4U credit (calculus and vectors) transferred from SL. SLs dont get that at my school so they had to do night/summer classes. If you get that credit and all the other pre-reqs you have good chances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kw0573 said:

Check if you get the MCV 4U credit (calculus and vectors) transferred from SL. SLs dont get that at my school so they had to do night/summer classes. If you get that credit and all the other pre-reqs you have good chances.

Really? That's so weird I never knew BC did that.

Ontario students get both Adv Fun and Calc and Vec for SL (data management is added for HL). Not sure about other provinces

• Like 1