IB Bio HL, Chem HL or both?

ccsscc

I recently got called down to the office because there are issues with my schedule for next year. 

Bio and chem both interest me, and I've done super well in both. Now it's the debate of which one I take, however, if I take both I will have 8 classes which is the max amount at my school. 

I want to be a doctor so I know each will be useful. But I've heard people say chem is more useful in college due to the difficulties in organic chemistry. 

My other IB classes are:

English HL

Math Studies SL (then AP calc my senior year)

Anthropology SL

Spanish SL or HL

Business HL (if I only take one science) 

I am a pretty organized student and get things done so I'm just not sure. Either way I will meet the IB requirements in terms of HL classes and passing. 

Do not take chem HL if you are taking math studies... SL should be fine but not HL

So either you take Math SL and Chem HL and Bio HL and drop business or you take Bio HL, Math Studies and Business but I do not know if it is good for a doctor's degree, as most universities require both Bio and Chem (sometimes even all 3 sciences, which is impossible in the IB) 

Or the best choice in my opinion to still give you a chance to get into universities for a doctor's degree is Bio HL, Math Studies and Chem SL and drop business 

Edited by shellziess

Chem HL is more important than Bio HL, from what I've heard - many universities such as CUHK, HKU, and UNSW require Chem HL for medicine, but not Bio HL (or even Bio in the first place - people have gotten in with doing Chem HL and Physics HL too).  Of course, it's best to take both Chem HL and Bio HL if possible, seeing that they're related to medicine.  Also, I think that Math SL is better for medicine compared to Studies, although it does depend where you're going.  If it's highly competitive, then the best course combination would probably be Chem HL + Bio HL + Math SL.  If it's not so competitive, you can sacrifice Bio HL for SL and/or Math SL for Studies (check the requirements on the websites for the unis you want to apply to).