Failing biology, any suggestions please?

Margo Camellu

Hey guys,

I am in a desperate situation. Right now on a final progress check I am almost failing my IB Biology. My teacher hates me and even though I try to do everything to satisfy her (do homework, have all of the notes, score highest marks doing practicals), she still gives me a D from ATL and failing grade on progress check. I try really hard but I just do not know how to answer properly questions in the test to score higher grade. My teacher knows I had to take one science to get to the countries where I want to go but she really (and I mean it) enjoys being harsh and mean. I tried to talk to her several times what I can improve, but she keeps telling me the same thing that she does not know where the problem is. 

Thanks for any suggestions and good luck through IB!

M.

Hm, do you get a mark scheme after you've had a test in order to look at the correct answer if you've written something wrong? If you do, then I guess you can try to figure out your own flaws by comparing your answer to the correct answer, since she doesn't seem like she wants to help you at all. If you don't, then you could maybe ask for one?

Are you dependent on your predicted or final grades in the countries you want to apply to? In Sweden they'll only look at the final grades when you apply, while I know that in the US you apply with you predicted grades at first. If you're not dependent on your predicted grades, you could maybe work on biology yourself and try to score high on the real exam instead.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:01 AM, licia said:

Hm, do you get a mark scheme after you've had a test in order to look at the correct answer if you've written something wrong? If you do, then I guess you can try to figure out your own flaws by comparing your answer to the correct answer, since she doesn't seem like she wants to help you at all. If you don't, then you could maybe ask for one?

Are you dependent on your predicted or final grades in the countries you want to apply to? In Sweden they'll only look at the final grades when you apply, while I know that in the US you apply with you predicted grades at first. If you're not dependent on your predicted grades, you could maybe work on biology yourself and try to score high on the real exam instead.

Thank you for replying. Well she is very complicated and when you ask her questions she says she is emotional and is not in the right mood to answer your questions.. So.. I asked a different Bio teacher if I can switch Bio classes and they said it is impossible. 

I want to apply to various countries from Canada to Switzerland and Sweden..that is why I need both...good predicted and final

On 5/18/2017 at 0:51 AM, IB`NOT`ez said:

That sounds horrible. Have you tried reporting her to your DPC?

How does she not know where the problem is when she literally grades all of your assessments?

Anyways I sent you a PM. Good luck!

Thank you very much for replying.. you are very kind. Well she is as I said very emotional and not very cooperative. I tried that several times and they said they are still working on it. For a half year.. Gonna read your PM.. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Margo Camellu said:

Thank you very much for replying.. you are very kind. Well she is as I said very emotional and not very cooperative. I tried that several times and they said they are still working on it. For a half year.. Gonna read your PM.. Thanks again!

Ask your parents to talk to the headmaster or whoever is running your school? This sounds absolutely ridiculous. Your teacher/DPC are not 5 years old, they should leave their emotional nature at home. They're there to teach you and protect your interests as a student. Sounds like they're doing an appalling job. 

• Like 1