Failed IA Mark affect overall?

Moony_PirateKing

So I ended up getting a really bad mark on my chemistry design lab that brought my mark down by almost 20% (from an 84 to a 65). However, I feel like I didn't do as bad as my teacher graded it. I got a 7/24, but I had done the graphs and the research properly. I have all the components asked in the rubric. 

The question is, would my IA mark affect my overall IB mark? If so, can I have my lab being regraded by another teacher?

If your IA is part of the sample sent to the IBO, the external moderator will adjust the final marks based on his/her discretion. Unfortunately if it's not part of the sample, the moderator won't see it, BUT its marks will still get adjusted based on what he sees from the sample. Therefore if the IA marks of the sample are deemed too harsh by the moderator, all IA marks can increase, including yours.

The IA is worth 20% of your final grade. Theoretically, it is possible to achieve a 1/24 for your IA and still get a 7 overall for any of the science subjects, provided your exams are pretty much perfect. However, getting a 7/24 does get your work cut out for you in achieving a high grade – you'll need to do more than the minimum for a 5, 6, or 7 boundary in achieving such grades (in your final exams). 

Generally speaking, if your exams are a mid-5 – boundary for a 5 is between 56-66% – so let's say your external exams overall average to 60%, and your IA being 7/24, worth 20%.... overall your final score will be approx. 54%, which is still a 4 (for HL) Therefore you'd need need a high-5 in your exams to get a 5 overall, a very high-6 or even a low 7 just get a 6 overall etc. 

Edited by IB`NOT`ez
  • Like 4