Content and structure TOK Presentation

HKamal

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could enlighten me regarding the correct way of structuring a ToK presentation.

So my real life situation is a theft where the victim blames the misfortune on black magic (superstition)

My KQ is:

How reliable are faith(superstition) and emotion as sources of knowledge/ways of knowing.

I was wondering if this is too generic? Also I am in a group of three so I guessed it would be good to have a broad perspective. 

Basically it goes like this:

Why is faith 'bad' (believing without evidence, dogmatism)

Why is emotion 'bad' (obscures judgement, confirmation bias)

Why is reason better (scientific evidence, logical)

Counter arguments:

Why is faith 'good'

Why is emotion 'good'

Why is faith 'bad'

Is this a correct approach ?

Also I am thinking of including some videos and maybe interactive elements to keep the audience awake.

Regards,

Haseeb

I think you could rephrase to 'To what extent are faith(superstition) and emotion reliable ways of knowing / means of producing knowledge?'

I think your structure is fine. Just remember to continuously refers back to this question. I suggest you do that once at the end of arguments, then again at the end of counter arguments. To end the presentation, discuss what your whole presentation means/implies for the real life situation, then for knowledge in general.

Good luck!

On 2017-5-23 at 8:12 AM, potatokim said:

I think you could rephrase to 'To what extent are faith(superstition) and emotion reliable ways of knowing / means of producing knowledge?'

I think your structure is fine. Just remember to continuously refers back to this question. I suggest you do that once at the end of arguments, then again at the end of counter arguments. To end the presentation, discuss what your whole presentation means/implies for the real life situation, then for knowledge in general.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I will take your advice.

One more thing, I am actually in a group of three. Do you think this would be enough content/broad enough for a presentation by three people?

Regards,

Haseeb

Hey sorry for the late reply :P

Short answer: yes I think it is enough.

Long answer: it really depends on how (deeply) you're exploring each of your arguments.

In my experience, I started with a plan somewhat similar to yours and as I researched to build my arguments, new things came up. This means that there are possibilities of lengthening things as you go along. Just stop when you fill up your allowed time.

Edited by potatokim
grammar

On 2017-5-28 at 4:10 PM, potatokim said:

Hey sorry for the late reply :P

Short answer: yes I think it is enough.

Long answer: it really depends on how (deeply) you're exploring each of your arguments.

In my experience, I started with a plan somewhat similar to yours and as I researched to build my arguments, new things came up. This means that there are possibilities of lengthening things as you go along. Just stop when you fill up your allowed time.

Ok man thanks a lot!

One more thing,

How exactly do you use the AOKs in the presentation. Do you give a perspective from the different AOKs or what? 

So in this case, if I use Religion and the Natural Sciences to give perspectives into how faith is justified with religion and defied by the natural sciences.