Physics IA

Recycle Bin

Hello,

I am doing my Physics IA on circular motion. I am wrapping a string n number of times around a pole of radius r, and I'm measuring the time it takes for the string to unwind from the pole. The variable I will be changing is the radius of the pole. My question is, will this cause a lot of errors? Because, I don't wrap the string around the pole at the same exact place on the pole in each trial. Should I start doing that to avoid errors?

Further clarification: In the image attached you see a string wrapped n number of times around a pole in a certain area. However, for each trial, I'm wrapping the string around a different area of the pole each time. 

Screenshot 2017-05-24 at 2.35.55 PM.png

• Like 1

I'd suggest you do your best to wrap the string around the pole at the same point, but of course it's impossible to do it at the exact same place.  Try to find out how much error this results in.  Keep in mind that your main goal is to have results that can be discussed.  Even if the data looks bad, with huge error bars and results all over the place, if you have a good analysis discussion your IA can still go well.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think in a Physics IA, the more errors you get, the better your analysis is going to be. So, despite all of the possible errors (although you have to find out a way to calculate it), it's going to be great for the evaluation and analysis sections. Best of luck :) 

• Like 1