Chemistry mark

An2n

Junior here. At this point in the semester (month away from exam) I have a low 4 in chemistry HL. How doable is bringing my chem mark up to a 6 by 2nd semester of grade 12

Edited by An2n

Definitely doable.

My friend had a middle 4 or so at her end of junior year mocks (HL Chemistry) and is looking at a high 5/low 6 for her final grade. I went from a low 3 in SL Chemistry early in junior year to averaging 7s in HL Chemistry throughout senior year. 

Focus a lot on the physical chemistry topics: Stoichiometry, Energetics, Kinetics, Equilibrium, but also most importantly Bonding – Chemistry is literally all about Bonding (though of course have at least a solid understanding of all the other topics too). Master those topics and you have a great chance at a 6, provided your IA is also decent (16~/24). Work through all the exercises in the Pearson Textbook for those topics, ask friends/teachers for any questions and be prepared to spend time really thinking about the concepts before you can fully grasp it. 

Edit: This doesn't apply to everyone so I was hesitant about this comment, but I personally found Organic Chemistry to be an amazing grade booster. You might find your grades increasing significantly once you start covering the Organic Chemistry topics, which usually happens at senior year. 

Edited by IB`NOT`ez
  • Like 3

Very doable. I had a 4 for a while and brought it up to a 6 very easily. I mean the grade boundaries are not that high for a 6 or a 7 even. I mean of course you need to study harder and put a lot of effort into chemistry. Unlike @IB`NOT`ez organic chemistry is exactly the topic that brought my grade down but I was confident that I will get it during my finals coz I had this huge revision session with my teacher and that is the moment I understood organic chemistry... Also I had to understand it for the option Biochem so yeah, I would not worry too much if you are at a 4, unless you will not try your best to put the grade up.

Hope this helps :) 

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Just saw your question concerning chemistry HL. If you need any help in chemistry, feel free to contact me. I've supported over a hundred students in their chemistry HL/SL and their IA's helping them achieve excellent grades. I have my own unique sets of questions designed to help the students tackle the exam questions more efficiently. Here are some slides attached as explanation for bonding and structure (hybridization).

Do not hesitate to contact me: Here is my website: https://chemtutors.co.uk/

Hope you have a great academic year 

Bil

Slide 4.jpg

Slide 5.jpg

Slide 6.jpg

Slide 7.jpg