IB Math SL exam Retake

IBMike

I am pretty sure I bombed my Math SL exam in May. I asked my coordinator and was told that if I wanted to retake, I could do so in November. I think this is great because I'll be able to do better and study more. However I don't want to do this if I am required to re-do an IA. Does anyone know if I would have do re-do an IA to retake an exam? Also, does higher score count? 

From the Handbook of Procedures
page 75: "If a diploma candidate retakes a subject at the same level and in the same response language, the highest grade will contribute to the diploma ... If the grade is the same, it is the date of the first examination session that will appear on the results document. In the case of a course candidate taking the same subject/level again, another Course results document will be issued regardless of whether the grade has changed."

Page 77: "A candidate taking a subject again may carry over his or her mark for a non-examination component, assuming there have been no significant changes to the curriculum and/or assessment requirements." Goes on to say papers and the ToK essay cannot be carried over.

Therefore, it is clear that 1) your grade cannot go down 2) you don't need to re-submit IA.

There is another way you can change/improve your grade, which is to apply for exam remark. In that case, you can arrange to have any non-moderated component regraded by different, often more senior, examiners. But in that case the new grade will be used, even if it is lower. 

You should register for Nov 2017 retake by July 29 to get the lowest fee, and for remark by September 15. Remark is much cheaper than retake and if the grade change you will be refunded.