Subject choices - HELP PLEASE!

dj2002

Hey guys, 

Basically I'll be starting the DP this September so I was just wondering if someone could help me out with my subject choices. For my undergraduate, I plan to do the Classics or Classical studies in the UK or USA and I have decided to do the following subjects:

HL Subjects

- English (language and literature) 

- History

- French (language acquisition)

ITGS

SL subjects

- Mathematical studies

- Environmental sciences

- Physics

I couldn't make up my mind between physics and chemistry since I like them both but neither will be of any use in the future to me but all the same, I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Thanks again :)

I don't know exactly what is required to get into classical studies, but you should definitely check out what is required. This is probably my most important piece of advice to you, since doing the wrong courses can ruin your chances of getting in.

About the difficulty, you should be fine for your HL courses. Except maybe HL French, which I would discourage unless you have taken French courses in the past.

As for your SL courses, seeing the fact that you are doing math studies, I think chemistry would be a better choice in my opinion. Chemistry is much lighter on the mathematical side of things, and the course itself isn't too hard. It's a combination of basic math with a little bit of memorisation. Physics SL wasn't particularly difficult for me but I can see why people would find it difficult if math isn't their strength. 

• Like 1

ESS and Physics is a weird combination... I would pick Geo if I was you, its similar to ESS. Also I would pick Chemistry instead of Physics seeing as you are taking maths studies. Also classics requires Latin or/and Greek as languages but seeing as your school probably doesn't offer it, taking 2 languages as HL should do. Also history is very highly valued when applying to a classics course, although history HL is challenging but manageable...

Hope this helps :) 

• Like 2