Theatre?

Hedron123

[quote name='Hedron123' post='29378' date='Nov 30 2008, 06:09 PM']Hey, I wanted to ask you people what is the subject Theatre like. In my school we cannot choose Theatre, just Art. Thanks! :) [/quote]

When I first took Drama in 9th grade, I thought it would just be acting and performances and fun, but was taken by surprise at all we had to write. It's a lot of theory and terminology and historical research! At the same time, it involves a lot of creativity and working with the aspect of theatre which you enjoy the most (for the Independent Project the IB requires.) I'd say it's one of my most satisfying courses, but also one of the most time consuming. I dropped down from HL to SL because it was too hard for me. It's too bad they don't offer it at your school because it really is a lot of fun (especially putting on performances!)

• 1 month later...

It's been an excellent course for me. I love acting and speaking and am naturally a big ham :rofl: One of the things I enjoyed the most was that it was a break from all of my other classes. Theatre uses a different type of knowledge and it was always a destresser. It's really a shame that your school doesn't offer it. I was skeptical about taking theater just because I had basically no prior experiences, but then one of my classmates turned a project into a one act and we performed in for competition and won! I even received Best Supporting Actress of the competition! It was really surprising to me, but I found I had a talent for something and had no idea about it!

I love it! It's not at all like any other course, although there is a lot of history and research involved. Also a lot of personal reflection. I'd say that depending on your school, it can effectively combine almost all the aspects of theatre (i.e. acting, tech, writing, directing, etc.)

• 1 month later...

Even though I am a big theatre person I cannot stand our IB Theatre class. I took theatre workshop my freshman year and loved it. I have just completed my twenty-third show, so I am not short of experience in every area of theatre but I really think that our teacher ruins it for us.

She is an okay person to not know too well, but she is an actress and a monologue coach and not a fantastic teacher by any means. It's a pity because everyone else seems to love their class, let me tell you, I envy them greatly. Just wanted to say that I think that actual experience at this level of theatre seems, to me, to be the best option. Enjoy what you got! But I do hope you get to try theatre out at some point, it is the light in my life :D

Theatre... well, I love it!
It is though as mentioned above a lot harder than it sounds especially since we don't have an actual exam, so everything counts on our internal/external assessments, which may sound great, but from my experience and from what I've heard, many of the theatre teachers don't know what to do (especially since they recently changed the syllabus), but there are also many theatre teachers that know their stuff.
But, theatre does help you develop important skills, such as leadership and time-management, as well as allow you express your creative self and work as a team to create something marvolous.
I love costumes, they are my passion!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My favourite class along with History (both at HL)...my school is absolutely amazing for Theatre Arts, there are some very experienced teachers and we engage in a variety of activities. This year we did a "mock" for each piece of coursework that we will have to do next year and I feel like it helped me relax and feel more confident for next year. We have done two performances (in Epic Theatre and Physical Theatre) out of the three that our required, and that was a lot of fun as well as a lot of work. It's a pity they don't offer it in your school!

Edited by eppe