Chance for chemistry major ruined?

Aquilina

Hullo everyone :)

So my problem is this: I have been getting good grades since G9 (UW 3.84+), but this semester, I completely blew my grade up (UW 3.7 ish?) and got a 6 for chem. My first choice is the BSA dual degree program for chemistry and design at CMU (I actually changed my original first choice because of my poor GPA this semester). The program requires you to be accepted into the college of art and the college of science simultaneously. 

Though the average GPA of CMU is not that high, I am still worried if I will be waitlisted from the chemistry department. I have good and unique chem extracurriculars (like my STEAM education program, outreach with institutions and outstanding chemists, publications/features, blog posts), so I am wondering if I could compensate the score with a 800 on the SAT2 (I hope to get that from next week's testing) and a high SAT1 score (I am certainly gonna retake to get 1550+). 

Aquilina Hu

Edited by Aquilina

I doubt a 6 in Chemistry HL, which is often equated to a 5 in AP Chemistry or an A in normal high school curriculum would ruin your chances at a Chemistry major... I have a friend who's enrolled into medicine with 2s in Chemistry SL if that makes you feel better.

Edit: I swear man you gotta be able to let these small imperfections slide. There are so many little things out of your control and it's not healthy to fret over things you don't have to. It makes me worry you're going to easily get CHD/heart troubles down the road

Edited by IB`NOT`ez
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

I doubt a 6 in Chemistry HL, which is often equated to a 5 in AP Chemistry or an A in normal high school curriculum would ruin your chances at a Chemistry major... I have a friend who's enrolled into medicine with 2s in Chemistry SL if that makes you feel better.

Edit: I swear man with your level of apprehension at the seemingly slightest of things makes me worry you're going to easily get CHD/heart troubles down the road

2 in chem SL for medicine? Which school did he go to?

I actually talked with my teacher and he thinks that 6 is not ideal for me. I also realised that I need to be more hardworking to gain the score I would like. So I gave it a really long thought that day. Guess I will just work harder on IB problems over the summer and do a good job on the mock exams. 

Edited by Aquilina

I know a few international applicants accepted in CMU for science or engineering majors. I think SAT II 800 and SAT of 1550 will further consolidate your chances. However I think if current SATs are close to that goal you still have excellent chances. I really think you have one of the strongest and major-related extracurriculars I ever heard of, and as long as you maintain a healthy level of self-discipline, you will be successful.

• Like 1