Subject choices for IB.. Pls help!!

max_f

Hello... So I am about to finish my MYP year and I will be starting my Ib diploma next term. The subjects choice I have made are

HL subjects:

English A: lang and lit, Physics and business

SL subjects: 

French ab initio, Math and chemistry

I am really worried about english because in my MYP year, I have got mostly a 5. Do you think I should do SL instead of HL?

What do you think about my IB subjects? (mainly in term of difficulty)

Hello friend,

first of all it is important to relax a bit and not worry so much. Most schools allow changes until Christmas if you see that you find a subject too difficult to follow or that it is not like you expected it to be.

Now, it'd be a good idea to have a potential area of studies in mind when choosing subjects, as most universities require certain subjects in HL to let you enroll in a course. The subjects you have chosen in HL do not look like they are focused towards one specific direction, which could cause you a few issues later on. So I'll just make a few general comments:

Physics is always good to combine with HL math, as you may often find topics from one subject involved in the other, so if you plan on studying engineering/physics, it'd be a good idea to switch to HL math (also, most UK unis require you to have math+physics for the aforementioned courses).

Business is a tricky subject, especially in HL, but with a good teacher it can be a quite pleasant one. If, though, it is a new subject in your school, I'd suggest not taking it, or at least taking it in SL. It was a first-time subject for us this year and friends describe it as kind of a nightmare.

Lastly, I give you a thumbs up for french ab initio, as choosing 2 Languages A is often way too hard. With regards to your question about LangLit, yes it is considered one of the hard subjects, but in the end it all comes down to what you want to study.

My last tip, relax... you have a whole 2 years to worry. Enjoy your summer ;)

Edited by NephKa

• 2 months later...
Guest TheMagical7

Good advice from NephKa!

But I must mention that Math HL and Physics HL are among the toughest subjects in the IB. Unless you need them both for, say, Engineering, I recommend you take only one of them at HL. For my desired university, I only need Math HL and Physics SL.

Personally, I abhor English in its IB form. While I heard that there is not a big difference from SL English to HL, you don't want to be doing it if you think you can't enjoy it. Do not stress about the 5 because the only thing you can do, like me, is multiply your effort in it by 3 times. 

French ab initio should be easy enough, Math SL is not bad at all, and Chemistry is decent depending on how you like it. Idk about Business.

Okay I'm done procrastinating for now bye.