Physics IA

Fermin

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2017 at 10:06 PM, Fermin said:

Hi! I really need to find an IA topic with variants, variables which I can control a situation, and why something changed. 

i think all science IAs are like that...

We can't give you ideas. You have to come up with your own, and THEN we can provide feedback/advice.

hi,

the problem is not like finding ideas. the problem is that we have ideas but either they have been done before or they are really simple and there is nothing to evaluate in them. For example, plotting a graph of density of medium and light intensity is easy and has variables enough to analyze. But its has been done multiple times, and is very predictable. I know that there is nothing like an easy topic but there has to be something interesting there. 

Obviously you can't give out exact topics, but im looking for ideas like the above and modifying them for my IA. So for example, to modify the above example, I would not take different mediums like water, oil, glycerine. I would take water and vary its density by adding sugar, salt etc. 

Sounds nice but has been done multiple times in my school. And this is the kind of inspiration im looking for. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, slickblack_A said:

hi,

the problem is not like finding ideas. the problem is that we have ideas but either they have been done before or they are really simple and there is nothing to evaluate in them. For example, plotting a graph of density of medium and light intensity is easy and has variables enough to analyze. But its has been done multiple times, and is very predictable. I know that there is nothing like an easy topic but there has to be something interesting there. 

Obviously you can't give out exact topics, but im looking for ideas like the above and modifying them for my IA. So for example, to modify the above example, I would not take different mediums like water, oil, glycerine. I would take water and vary its density by adding sugar, salt etc. 

Sounds nice but has been done multiple times in my school. And this is the kind of inspiration im looking for. 

Thanks

Hi hope neither of us gets too defensive. Anyways, I hope you can agree that there is little merit to answer a question that surely has been discussed multiple times on this forum. The search bar is not exactly Google but it'll do for your purposes. 

Anyways, good topics will withstand multiple students doing the topic and not turn "overdone". Did you know, before 2016 sessions, the class would do literally the same experiments for IA (except for 1 or 2) and write design independently for them? 

Just pick topics you are interested in first (for example, refraction or reflection of light) and then formulate several candidate research questions to choose from. 

• Like 1

@slickblack_A Just like to add that the IA guide for the sciences only says that it needs to be "commensurate with the level of the course of study", and pretty much everything in the course is predictable and overdone, especially seeing that thousands of people do it each year, so there's always going to be some overlap.  

I did my own physics IA on Torricelli's law, a centuries-old theory that's been established countless times.  However, I did still learn quite a lot of new things about fluid dynamics from conducting it, and it was fairly interesting.  

I do understand your concern about 'overdone' topics, and my teachers usually discouraged me from doing things that were too simple, but really that's something you probably only need to worry about at uni and academic research.  What may help is to simply just change the variables you're manipulating in an experiment, e.g. instead of changing slit width or wavelength of light in the double slit experiment, maybe look at effect of polarized light on the pattern produced.