My Chem IA is safe, right?

DatGameh

I currently have a Chemistry IA topic, and I gave it at least 6 months before the due date given by my teacher.

Six months later, she tells me that my IA topic is unsafe. During these six months, she could have told me.

I don't want to work on another IA because I have already spent enough time working on his one, and early too. So I need to convince her.

In this experiment, I want to analyze the combustion of different octane levels of fuel. This may sound dangerous, but I assure you; it is not.

I am going to use 88 RON, 92 RON, and 95 RON gasoline, and feed them individually to a lawn mower engine. The variable I am going to analyze is the amount of CO2 emmited by the use of each fuel, and if they are any different. More CO2 is better, as that indicates more complete combustion (more CO2 means lesser CO, a product of poor combustion).

The unsafeness here is the fact that I am using an engine. But this lawnmower engine is not the one that rides on the ground. This engine is designed to be held on like a backpack. And I have indicated in the experiment that while the experiment is happening, I should keep a 10 meter distance to avoid whatever problems that may happen.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC5MhVifm4tBG5FlYprZF

I have revised it and considered every danger, but it is still unapproved. 

It's an engine designed to be carried next to your vital organs, and I am going to be 10 meters away from the engine while it is on.

Do you guys think it's unsafe? Because I sure as heck do not think so.

Edited by DatGameh

From what you've outlined, you seem to have, at the very least, a fairly good grasp of safety issues, and I don't see why your teacher would restrict you from doing this IA for reasons of safety, especially if they've had 6 months to tell you.  

Of course, it may be more to do with how you're releasing CO2 in the environment, which is a potentially toxic gas.  If you specify how you're going to measure it in a safe way and make sure that you don't really breathe in the fumes, then you should be fine for that.  

I know some of my classmates conducted IAs on combustion of alkanes, which is relatively similar, except on a smaller scale.  

Edited by SC2Player

The core safety issue lies in how you measure amount of CO2. If you have to contain the CO2 in measuring it, then there is problem of high pressure. I suggest at minimum wear masks and ear plugs for your experiment. I dont think you need to be 10m away because that hinders with observations. Instead I do recommend adult supervision.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:18 PM, kw0573 said:

The core safety issue lies in how you measure amount of CO2. If you have to contain the CO2 in measuring it, then there is problem of high pressure. I suggest at minimum wear masks and ear plugs for your experiment. I dont think you need to be 10m away because that hinders with observations. Instead I do recommend adult supervision.

I plan to use the Vernier CO2 Gas Sensor. I've already solved the problem of hot exhaust gases, so while it's being recorded, I can stay as far away from the engine as I want.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:25 AM, SC2Player said:

From what you've outlined, you seem to have, at the very least, a fairly good grasp of safety issues, and I don't see why your teacher would restrict you from doing this IA for reasons of safety, especially if they've had 6 months to tell you.  

Of course, it may be more to do with how you're releasing CO2 in the environment, which is a potentially toxic gas.  If you specify how you're going to measure it in a safe way and make sure that you don't really breathe in the fumes, then you should be fine for that.  

I know some of my classmates conducted IAs on combustion of alkanes, which is relatively similar, except on a smaller scale.  

As i said to kw0573, I plan to use the COVernier Gas Sensor. I only have to stand the sensor next to the elongated exhaust pipe (so the gasses have adequate time to cool down), and so the exhaust gases will cool down.