Reviewing before Semester Exams

JanEurope

Hei Guys,

HL first year Math student here. Just a quick question. For the actual exam in may, what is going to be the amount of points for paper 1,2, and 3. My teacher gave us like 400points worth of questions for all three papers combined for review. However, I want to work with the same time constraints as the final exam. For example, if on the real thing you get 30min for 20points worth of questions on Paper two, then I would like to review with those same boundaries.

I would really appreciate if someone can tell me what it is, or where to find it.

Thx

33 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

For all papers it is 1 minute allocation per mark. Generally is that you finish faster for easy questions and slower for harder ones. In year 1, I would still emphasize accuracy over speed.

I believe 1 minute per mark is no longer accurate for 2017 exams onwards, as the number of marks in paper 2 has decreased from 120 to 100, whilst the time for the exam stayed the same. 

EDIT: Worth mentioning is the fact that many teachers choose to give less than a minute on the exam to add extra pressure and help you increase your ablility to work under timed conditions. My teacher gives us roughly 45 seconds for 1 mark on unit tests and gave us a minute for each mark on the final.

Edited by mac117
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mac117 said:

I believe 1 minute per mark is no longer accurate for 2017 exams onwards, as the number of marks in paper 2 has decreased from 120 to 100, whilst the time for the exam stayed the same.

Confirmed http://blogs.ibo.org/blog/2016/10/24/change-to-dp-higher-level-mathematics-specimen-papers-now-available/. I reaffirm my stance that you should prioritize accuracy over speed.

• Like 1