Reflective statement

Lucy Paterson

How I format my reflective statement is with a brief, max two-sentence description of the IO itself, followed by "Our discussion helped me realized that...". The entire reflection should be focused on what you had not seen before the IO but now understand because of the IO, and you want to make it very explicit the connection between your understanding and the IO. Basically, my reflective statement looks like this:

Paragraph 1: What was the IO, what did it help you understand

Paragraph 2-3: Specific point of understanding (for example, your newfound knowledge of a certain character or symbol, one per paragraph). These paragraphs should move like this: previous understanding of character/symbol/etc., "however, we realized that", "this interactive oral thus helped us understand", "this greatly deepened my understanding of..."

Paragraph 4: Brief, two-sentence ending note. I wrote it like, "This interactive oral has made me consider..." and the final sentence was some existential connection to culture in general.

Notice the phrases in quotations; those are the types of phrases you want to use in order to be explicitly connecting your new understanding to the IO.

I am not sure if this helped or not, so if you are still confused, please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's often good to link back the topics you discussed to the context of the novel, because I think that's the specific question (at least, it was at our school.  I don't know if that's the case everywhere?).  So you say "our class brought up this topic, which I noticed in the text here, here, and here, and which links back to this aspect of the author's society and helped me to understand this particular aspect about that society."  

Repeat x2 or x3, until 300 words is achieved.  Make sure it's concise, doesn't have too much analysis (but certainly has a little), and touches on several of the main themes of discussion.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The reflective statement is a 300-400 word assignment where you have to discuss the things you learnt or found interesting in your class interactive oral. You are required to add the context in which the other wrote the novel which includes the time period that it was written in, the intended audience, and message it is trying to convey. Also, something that many people fail to do and thus don't recieve 3 marks on this rather easy component of the written assignment is add cultural links from your very on culture. Basically, answer the question gave in class throughly! For example, I am from india and women here are usually objectified by the men just like Nora in A Doll's House. There are very few women like Nora who stand up for themselves before their family. Just like this you can make as many links from the book and how you affected by it and the cultural aspects that were similar to your culture or your culture would find interesting because it's very rare in your culture. Make the reflective statement personal.

Hope the post helps!