How To Prepare For English A HL

Hi guys!

In September I am going to enter the IB programme. One of the subjects I dread the most is English A HL. I am not an English native (I am Polish), therefore I would like to ask for any advice on how I can prepare for the programme over the summer. An exam I have recently taken assessed my English level as C1. I will be grateful for your opinion and advice.

Take care <3

Hi,

There isn't much you can do over the holiday for English A, other than to just read, because you need to get into this habit before it becomes your routine, especially since you're taking English at HL. C1 is more than enough for Eng A, so don't worry about that. Just focus on reading a lot, and learn as much vocabulary as you can. Honestly, people who are not native English speakers in my class are doing much better than some people who are native English speakers.

Also, get familiar with the syllabus and its requirements over the summer; and IB subjects in general. Don't forget to get some rest, too! Make sure you start the IB well, and if you do, everything will go just right. If you start IB1 with late assignments, procrastination, pulling all-nighters too often - the IB won't be really enjoyable. SO PLEASE make use of the free time you have now to reflect upon everything, including your subject choices! (Btw. What subjects will you take?)

I wish you all the best and lots of success for the following year! :irene:

1 hour ago, kanda_sorata said:

Hi,

There isn't much you can do over the holiday for English A, other than to just read, because you need to get into this habit before it becomes your routine, especially since you're taking English at HL. C1 is more than enough for Eng A, so don't worry about that. Just focus on reading a lot, and learn as much vocabulary as you can. Honestly, people who are not native English speakers in my class are doing much better than some people who are native English speakers.

Also, get familiar with the syllabus and its requirements over the summer; and IB subjects in general. Don't forget to get some rest, too! Make sure you start the IB well, and if you do, everything will go just right. If you start IB1 with late assignments, procrastination, pulling all-nighters too often - the IB won't be really enjoyable. SO PLEASE make use of the free time you have now to reflect upon everything, including your subject choices! (Btw. What subjects will you take?)

I wish you all the best and lots of success for the following year! :irene:

Thank you so much for your answer! :wub:

I was planning to read "The Great Gatsby", "Sense and Sensibility", "The Brothers Karamazov" and "Pride and Prejudice" over the summer. (btw on June 14th I will receive my final grades and from that day on I will finally be able to devote myself to reading those books). Do you have any other recommendations? I also want to learn additional vocabulary, as you suggested.

So far I have chosen following subjects:

Polish SL (but I consider taking HL),

English A HL,

Math HL (however, if I take Polish HL I will probably switch to Math SL)

Geography/Economy HL,

Biology SL,

French B HL.

I am not 100% sure what I want to do in the future, but I've been thinking about studying law/economy/finance in the UK (specifically London).

Thank you for all the advice, I will keep all of your tips in mind when starting the programme!! 

Take care! <3

If you are unsure about your writing, vocabulary, powers of expression in English, get LOTS of practice with your writing and powers of expression over the summer.

For that you need to READ lot, and I don't mean your fictional works. Read some of the more academic stuff written about literature, usually university M.As. in English. ..if it is not too daunting for you.  You'll need to become familiar with academic English, which is nothing like the everyday register and style we use to get around. 

Any thoughtful, slightly (or very) academic writing on literary subjects or in the humanities should do. It will familiarise you with that mode of thinking and doing which the IB prizes. 

Good luck with your summer studying!  :D

Edited by Blackcurrant