AnaC

So I'm going to be starting in the IB next year and I have to either choose between History HL or Economics HL  OR take one as HL and the other as SL, but then I'd have to have 7 subjects and I'm not sure if I'll manage. I also want to be a diplomat or go into politics or IR or law after IB. These are the subjects I've chosen so far:

English A HL

Norwegian A SL

Math SL

Biology 

Visual Arts HL

plzz help 

I'm one year into IB, and I think it will be really hard for you to manage 7 subjects. You'll feel it especially in your senior year. Think of what you like and what you really need for your college. By the way, history HL is pretty hard and heavy workload as my friends say. Anyways, good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ohwonderf said:

I'm one year into IB, and I think it will be really hard for you to manage 7 subjects. You'll feel it especially in your senior year. Think of what you like and what you really need for your college. By the way, history HL is pretty hard and heavy workload as my friends say. Anyways, good luck!

Doesn't History HL look better for uni than Econ HL though? 

7 hours ago, MagdalenaP said:

If you want to take both History and Econ, then maybe drop Visual Arts? It seems that they won't be useful for your future Uni and career (Econ and History will) and from what I've heard VA can be quite a challenging subject.

I'm not sure i would want to drop it completely, but I am considering taking it on SL as I can then drop it if the workload gets to be too much 

AFAIK universities often look at total scores, especially for courses that don't have a requirement for specific subjects, so you'd usually want to maximize your scores for your diploma.  Check with the universities that you're planning to apply to and look at their requirements, and maybe you can then drop a subject that isn't necessary.  If you like doing VA, then maybe you can do it in your free time.