Need some intelligent advice

JAYT

I need some serious advice. Will i survive if i do chem HL physics SL and French ab? I have never studied French before and I'm worried it might consume alot of my time to scrape a 5/6 for it. I'm a B(70) student in cousework but an A(90+) student in exams as i hate doing work until its due the following day.

I'm a consistant and insistant procrastinator which I'll probably have to give up as a habit.

Anyone got any advice on whether French ab is easier than indonesian ab? Really appreciate any help.

Edited by JAYT

I don't know Indonesian at all, but I can say that French is not a challenging language to learn, especially if you've ever learned any similar romance languages. The IB French exam is quite simple.

I'm also not sure about HL Chem, but SL Physics isn't particularly difficult. You get to skip most of the cryptic and confusing things that HL ends up doing, and as long as your options are simple, you can scrape a 5 or a 6 on the exams using only a rudimentary knowledge of the concepts and good use of the formulas in the data booklet.

I live in Malaysia, so I can give you a bit of advice about Indon. It's not that hard to learn, you can pick it up pretty easily. If it's anything similar to Malay (Which it is) it's bound to be similar to English and tons of other languages that Malay is based on.

Having said that, learning French would be way easier since there are a whole lot of resources that are available on the internet and elsewhere that would facilitate learning French. That and French is way more useful than Indon can ever be! You can only use Indonesian in Indonesia and probably Malaysia and Brunei.

You can use French in a whole lot of places. And learning French would help you further down if you want to learn Spanish since some of the words and the verb structures are pretty similar.

Oh and the subject combination is doable, as long as you plan your time carefully. Hope I've helped :(

Oh and the subject combination is doable, as long as you plan your time carefully. Hope I've helped ;)

Yea you've helped me bro. man i needed a little bit of confidence thanks for that. I think i'll stick to french as it'll be a lot more useful in the future. And thanks to legend in the making and tirentu, you've boosted by confidence as well.

And i know i shoudn't post this here, but what if i've got a really next-to-useless French teacher who spends 45minutes of the class talking and reflecting about his past and 5 minutes on the actual subject.

Edited by JAYT

Yea you've helped me bro. man i needed a little bit of confidence thanks for that. I think i'll stick to french as it'll be a lot more useful in the future. And thanks to legend in the making and tirentu, you've boosted by confidence as well.

And i know i shoudn't post this here, but what if i've got a really next-to-useless French teacher who spends 45minutes of the class talking and reflecting about his past and 5 minutes on the actual subject.

Listen to French music and watch films in French. Interesting and it helps. ;)

I would advise you not to take up chem and physics if u have problems with studying like u ,mentioned. Unless u were to fix some of them, you will fall behind course work and end up with a bad grade :/ Its 2:13 on a sunday morning, and I am taking a break from 4 hours of chem + math homework only. I have been chipping away at this monster of work fro some time. Not saying I am in any way, the represenatation of what should be done. lol. no. Just aying you might have very filled weekends, and strenuous study hours.

I would advise you not to take up chem and physics if u have problems with studying like u ,mentioned. Unless u were to fix some of them, you will fall behind course work and end up with a bad grade :/ Its 2:13 on a sunday morning, and I am taking a break from 4 hours of chem + math homework only. I have been chipping away at this monster of work fro some time. Not saying I am in any way, the represenatation of what should be done. lol. no. Just aying you might have very filled weekends, and strenuous study hours.

I'm quite sure i wont be working that hard next yr cause i would be dead the next mornin. but I've gotta choose between physics and bio (which to me is quite boring) and between chem, some art subject and IT. I would have done IT but chem opens upalot more uni choices. If i could do IT and chem, i would be happy, but i cant.

• 4 weeks later...
It's always subjective on the person doing it and where their aptitude lies, as well as the teacher teaching it.

Personally I've only listened closely to my english teachers so that i can know what kind of work they expect and so i can get good marks because in english the teachers can sort of stretch in the marking as there are no right and wrong answers, and subjects like physics where if you dont listen for a moment it'll take u a few hours to recover. But im guessing thats all going to change soon...

Do chem HL and Physics HL :angrymob: It will do you good... Though you have to work a lot .....

Helll NO! man

And Physics is the most difficult science for most people, but for me its biology because its the most boring subject in school - and thats including history :)

Edited by JAYT

I'm a B(70) student in cousework but an A(90+) student in exams as i hate doing work until its due the following day.

I'm a consistant and insistant procrastinator which I'll probably have to give up as a habit.

For HL Chem, we've gone through a semester of work, which is mainly math (mole calculations, concentration, gas laws), however, you should probably do your homework regularly (it's not checked) but there is way too much to do the day before a test.

As for French at standard, it is only a 150 word shorter composition (final) than the higher level french, as well as stricter assessment criteria. The course work is the same.

Finally, which HLs you choose depend heavily on your career choice. Any thoughts on what you want to study after high school?

Finally, which HLs you choose depend heavily on your career choice. Any thoughts on what you want to study after high school?

Nah im not really sure about anything i want to study in uni. I chose English A1 History and Chem for my Hlevels. if i had much idea if i wanted to do things more 2 business and commerse or more to science orientated subjects i would probably think over my subjects again.

• 1 month later...

SL Biology involves a lot of memorization of plain facts = time consuming.

SL Physics will require practice with all those word problems you'll get.

I finished my first semester of HL Chemistry and it was quite straightforward; not bad at all.

SL French - most people in my school taking it have been learning French since grade 4.

However, I started learning French in Grade 9.

So, far it's not that bad.

But if you don't know French at all, it might take a bit of your time and effort to 'catch up.'

However, French, as a language, is quite uh similar to English.

So, I guess it would be easier to learn than your other language options?

Well, good luck : )

Nah im not really sure about anything i want to study in uni. I chose English A1 History and Chem for my Hlevels. if i had much idea if i wanted to do things more 2 business and commerse or more to science orientated subjects i would probably think over my subjects again.

Why not take HL Economics then?

Why not take HL Economics then?

Thats because my school said enogh people havent chosen it so they cant continue a class. But i reckon its bull crap cause 12 of us chose it. i reckon the real reason is cause they want more people to do physics and run a class for that because its a more ' important subject'.

And i was one of the people who chose economics.