Extended Essay - English

ivy12003

So for my EE, I'm doing the portrayal of Solitude Through Magic realism in Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The thing is, I hardly talk about Midnight's Children... I mention very very specific events in the book and how it relates to One Hundred Years of Solitude as a whole. Both texts are very long (over 500 pages), I was wondering:

1) is this a good EE topic?
2) will the examiners criticize me for not focusing on the whole of Midnight's Children?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Vvi' post='29577' date='Dec 3 2008, 06:27 PM']I definitely think you should give equal consideration to both books. I'm doing an English EE too, and my advisor told me that I had to balance both books because otherwise it's one sided.[/quote]

I agree, it's very important to find a theme that is central in both novels. I did a "portrayal of memories" in English and my supervisor was very strict on me having equal amount of examples from both novels and to explore and compare the two as much as possible. Perhaps you could also consider choosing another theme or even other novels, since they are so long? It can get really frustrating to go through them over and over again.