ECC HL OR BUSINESS

Guys, I am planning on taking math studies in IB. And I am debating between ECO HL and Business HL. Business comparatively, makes it harder to get a 7 I've heard. Eco is more scoring, but the math level... I am apprehensive about it. I have a good base in Eco as I've done it in IG, I watch news, hence my Eco gk and theory is good. Advise on the math level in the data response paper plz!!!!

Is B.s more rote learning, and overall less time consuming and easier than Eco? My strength is also in writing and language, so guys plz advise on the suitable option!!!!

Business is much easier to get a 7 in. Economics is much more demanding in terms of the math level. I took economics and math studies because I had economics before and I am pretty sure I got a 7 in studies, so it is not impossible but I would not recommend taking Econ HL and Maths Studies. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you're looking for scores, definitely go for Business Management. It is one of the easiest subjects to get a 7 in. By easiest, I mean that you'll have to put in less effort and you could possibly invest more time in your other subjects. On the other hand, I don't think Math Studies would disadvantage you in Paper 3. 

• Like 1

Guest TheMagical7

I'm a math hl noob, but maths in economics is not really that hard. We've just finished macroeconomics, and up till now, the only equations we saw were in microeconomics where its simple algebra, like in this equation:

The percentage of change in demand divided by the percentage change in price. (For Price Elasticity of Demand)

It's at a level I could've easily done 2 years ago. 

EDIT: Economics is all about essays (usually though not always) accompanied by a good diagram. Check out a supply and demand curve diagram, it is one aspect of "maths", though we never actually look at numbers, just the lines. For example, on the topic of Supply and Demand, if you get the ideas, you just need to remember definitions for "Supply" and "Demand".

Edited by TheMagical7