Study Tips

Nicholas

Are you browsing social media, playing video games, or doing other activities when you should be studying or are you sitting at your desk unable to focus? The best way to get rid or the first category of distractions it to make a decision at a time when you don't have to study to not use them and also make it more difficult so when you eventually have to study and then have the urge to something else it's more of an effort and more importantly your reminded of your resolve to focus and get work done. This could be deleting social media apps from your phone, asking your parent to put video game controls in a safe, etc. The hardest decision is to not use them and start studying. Once you're 10 minutes into studying it's much easier to continue then pulling yourself away from a distraction. Also, initially I'd recommend being really strict. A lot of people recommend weaning yourself off that stuff and using time limits but I think that it's more effective to just not use them at all (at least until you've done a large and acceptable amount of work). If the issue is that you're sitting down but just can't find the motivation, then it might be harder to solve.

By "studying" to you just mean studying for subjects to prepare for exams, or do you mean doing homework and assignments in general? If you're just referring to struggling with your own preparation, then I think what really helps is trying to trick yourself into treating like a regular assignment. Set concrete goals, decide in advance what you need to cover, and then go about in a habitual manner and self-test yourself to determine knowledge; try to learn more about areas you don't know; rinse and repeat. 

Good luck!

• Like 1