Dear everyone on IB Survival,

I have already chosen by subject choices for the IB but I'm reconsidering them before I start IBDP1 in August. 

These are my IB Subject Choices = 

Higher Level = Biology, Chemistry, History and Italian B

Standard Level = Math and English Lang and Lit

My dilemma is that I want to keep career options open because I am not sure what I will want to do in the future. Medicine is highly probable ( the reason for Biology and Chemistry Higher Level) and so is economics, which of course requires Math HL

If I had Biology, Chemistry and Math all to HL then would it be too much work to handle? 

I appreciate any help and experience from people who have had similar situations or classes. 

Edited by SebA777

One reason that HL Bio, Chem and Math may be difficult is that you need a differebt study method for each course. Bio is mostly memorization; Chem is understanding concepts and some practicing problems; Math is all about doing problems.

Edited by kw0573

3 hours ago, SebA777 said:

Thank you for your advice, but then if I only did two of the HL's prescribed, I would possibly be missing out on a career option? Is it worth it?

Depends on how much that career option appeals to you, really. I myself take bio chem maths HL and find it rather manageable. Maths is my hardest HL for sure, followed by biology. Chemistry is the easiest for me, though this is not the case with many of my classmates who take both at HL. Doing only bio and chemistry HL will definitely take a large chunk of workload away, but together with it many career options. 

I take maths and want to study medicine, which isn't maths-oriented at all, though it still is helpful during admissions. Weigh out your options, or start with 4 HLs and drop maths to SL if you struggle too much at the end of year 1. 

If you have any further questions, just hit me up. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Biology: A lot of people think of bio as being an easy class and it honestly isn't that hard at SL, but HL gets quite difficult. However if you are good at memorising a 7 is achievable 

Chemistry: Don't underestimate how difficult this is. The first few topics are relatively easy so a lot of students slack and then struggle when they reach the harder topics. This requires a combination of math and memorisation skills 

History: I don't take this but I have heard that it's quite difficult and hard to get 7s or 6s in.

Math: Take SL. I took HL even tho I don't need it and it started affected my other grades because I dedicated all my time to HL math. I get that you're worried about having limited options but don't forget you need to have an idea of what you wanna do because your extra curriculars and essay need to add to that. Also if you're applying to the US, it's possible to change pathways whilst in uni, and if you change ur mind in the first month or two of IB you can change your classes.