If I got a 10 in my presentation, how well do I have to do in the essay to get a 7?

Kevin Chan

I have many assignments due in a short amount of time and I don't want to spend too much energy on TOK essay. I just want an overall 7 for TOK and I will be satisified with that. So how many marks do i have to get in the essay if I want a 7 overall with the precondition that I got a 10 in the presentation? Thank you!

Well, I've got bad (or maybe good, considering your aim) news for you. Nobody can guarantee you a certain mark no matter how much time you put into your essay. My TOK essay is my wildcard; I wouldn't be surprised by any of a wide range of scores. 

Obviously, there's a certain amount of time that's a benchmark that you're going to have to put in if you want a decent shot at writing a passable essay. I'd say that's somewhere between four to five hours, but it can vary based on how long it takes you personally to plan and write. Below that, I'd expect the output to be a shoddy attempt at an essay. For TOK especially, I'd suggest that your time spent planning is valuable and you shouldn't overlook it nor undervalue it. Consider different approaches and weight them, once you have a solid idea, the writing should come naturally and quick enough. Good luck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

I have many assignments due in a short amount of time and I don't want to spend too much energy on TOK essay. I just want an overall 7 for TOK and I will be satisified with that. So how many marks do i have to get in the essay if I want a 7 overall with the precondition that I got a 10 in the presentation? Thank you!

I don't understand what you mean by a "7 overall". TOK is marked with letters (A-D), so if by "7" you mean the highest possible grade being an "A", then the boundary for that fluctuates between a 22-23/30.

Your overall TOK mark out of 30 is 33% your Presentation Grade and 67% your Essay Grade. Since your Essay is also marked out of 10 as your presentation is, therefore whatever grade you received for your essay will be doubled e.g. if you get a 5/10 for your essay and 10/10 presentation, essentially you will get (5x2) 10 points from the essay and (10x1) 10 points from the presentation giving you overall 20/30 for your TOK mark. Then that mark will fall into the boundary for usually a B, giving you a B for TOK.

So answering your question, to get an "A", with a 10/10 in your presentation, all you'll need is a 7/10 for your Essay, giving you the additional 14 points you need, bringing you to a total of 24/30, which is slightly above the boundary in most years.

If your goal is indeed to get a "7" in everything, then well, you'll need to get a 7/10 in the Essay anyways? Perhaps your TOK essay is internally marked differently, although the system I described above is how the IB does it.

19 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

I don't understand what you mean by a "7 overall". TOK is marked with letters (A-D), so if by "7" you mean the highest possible grade being an "A", then the boundary for that fluctuates between a 22-23/30.

Your overall TOK mark out of 30 is 33% your Presentation Grade and 67% your Essay Grade. Since your Essay is also marked out of 10 as your presentation is, therefore whatever grade you received for your essay will be doubled e.g. if you get a 5/10 for your essay and 10/10 presentation, essentially you will get (5x2) 10 points from the essay and (10x1) 10 points from the presentation giving you overall 20/30 for your TOK mark. Then that mark will fall into the boundary for usually a B, giving you a B for TOK.

So answering your question, to get an "A", with a 10/10 in your presentation, all you'll need is a 7/10 for your Essay, giving you the additional 14 points you need, bringing you to a total of 24/30, which is slightly above the boundary in most years.

If your goal is indeed to get a "7" in everything, then well, you'll need to get a 7/10 in the Essay anyways? Perhaps your TOK essay is internally marked differently, although the system I described above is how the IB does it.

Thank you very much! My fault for saying "7 overall", I did mean "A" instead of "7".