How do you balance IB with extracurriculars?

Hi!

I'm taking IB next year but I'm wondering if it's actually worth it. At first, I decided to do it because I figured that I should probably get used to the workload now and learn some valuable skills for uni (planning on going into med but of course, that may change at any time). And because I have strict parents that I know would like me to go into the program.

The problem, though, is the fact that IB kids are generally really busy with schoolwork and I'm fairly involved with dance (8 hours or so a week) and I'm not ready to give it up. I like to think of myself of a fairly fast learner, so my homework time shouldn't be as long as others but let's face it, I'll probably have a lot of homework.

I was also thinking about only taking partial IB but if I were to take IB anyways, I wouldn't see the point of only going halfway. (I have a bit of an all or nothing attitude.) I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take chem or bio IB (see above: med school)

So I present to you my two questions: to those who are involved with extracurriculars/athetics, how do you manage your time? (and is it even possible to do so?) and, is IB even worth it?

A few things to consider:

Variance: Even though IB is an internationally-recognized program, different schools are going to give different amounts of homework. The IA's, EE's, and CAS all take a fair amount of time but your school is going to have a significant influence in terms of the time you spend on general homework. 

Variety: This is something that I find especially true for pre-med, science-heavy kids (sorry for promoting the stereotype); they hurt themselves by choosing all of the most work-intensive classes. Stay away from four HL's. If you want to do both Bio and Chem HL, great, but I'd suggest that your third HL not be something as strenuous as Math HL. 

What you want: You say you're not ready to give up dancing, which is good because IB will quickly kill your motivation for any activities to which you are lukewarm. If you love dance, then it will be a great way for you to wind down. If not, then it will just be an extension of an already too long school day.

As for my personal experience, eight hours is certainly doable. I would advise against doing more than eight hours. Really anything that books you for more than ten hours a week is when you will start to suffer. Another thing was that because I worked a job I would be free one day and then have a six hour commitment another day. That's much harder than doing an activity for an hour or so. So don't do that if possible. 

You say you're a fast learner; I'll contend that while it may be true, but there will definitely be some subjects that are taxing. You won't be a superstar in all of them, and the weaker ones tend to where you'll sink in a lot of time (or at least the time will pass slowest for them). 

I managed my time by trying to do stuff in advance when I could (read: not very often) and sacrificing a lot of personal time.

Is IB worth it? Generally no, but I s'pose that's part of the appeal. :P

• Like 4