Law application enhancements?

matbla

I just finished IB1 with quite solid grades, and the October predicts will be relatively high (41 with the 3 points added), but I feel that I have not done enough of the 'extracurricular activities' to actually amaze those guys at the oxford admission office. I am planning to study law and have not done any mooting/debates, I will however be in the ICJ at the September MUN. I have done some translations of articles for a thinktank's website, have conducted an interview with a philosopher of law, and have done some serious readings, but is it enough to impress them?
Can I do something over summer to actually improve my personal statement? Btw., everyone in my family are lawyers, so I guess i feel the spirit of the metier, have understanding of legal issues and so on.

Edit: I was thinking of doing a coursera ( /www.coursera.org) course related to law, but I don't know if it is worth it. Any opinions? 

Edited by matbla

Extracurriculars that are relevant to a law degree don't really matter as much.  Tutors, particularly at the top universities, are only interesting in seeing that you have an interest in the academic study of law.  So if you simply read a few legal textbooks, case judgments that would be more than enough.  Most of your personal statement should be spent discussing different legal issues and your analysis of them.  Your extracurriculars are generally the last paragraph of your PS and should rarely be more than 2-3 sentences long.  They need not be particularly law-related either, for example, being captain of your school's football team or editor of the school paper, these are more than enough.  Your extracurriculars need to only exist to show admissions that you have a life outside of university, that's all.

• Like 1

On 30.06.2017 at 4:50 PM, Arrowhead said:

Extracurriculars that are relevant to a law degree don't really matter as much.  Tutors, particularly at the top universities, are only interesting in seeing that you have an interest in the academic study of law.  So if you simply read a few legal textbooks, case judgments that would be more than enough.  Most of your personal statement should be spent discussing different legal issues and your analysis of them.  Your extracurriculars are generally the last paragraph of your PS and should rarely be more than 2-3 sentences long.  They need not be particularly law-related either, for example, being captain of your school's football team or editor of the school paper, these are more than enough.  Your extracurriculars need to only exist to show admissions that you have a life outside of university, that's all.

If it would not be too much of a problem, I thought that I should ask the last question ever on the forum. As far as university choices are considered, I will definitely apply to Kcl, Lse and Oxford, but i am not sure about the last two choices. I was thinking about Warwick and Durham, but I found out that Queen Marry, Ucl, and even Newcastle or Durham are higher in the rankings. I think that it does not make any sense to have a safe choice, since I actually need to be interested in studying at such a uni. So, which one would you pick?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't bother with rankings.  They're all subjective and very unreliable.  Mostly university choices based on rankings are nonsense.  Oxford and Cambridge are Tier 1 for Law, followed by UCL and LSE in Tier 2, then you have the other 'top unis' like KCL, Durham, etc., there's a lot of debate on which universities are 'prestigious' enough to be in the Tier 3 category, and so on and so forth.

But honestly, none of it matters.  Think more about what you want to do after you finish your law degree.  Do you want to be a solicitor in a law firm?  Pick a law firm you like and look up the linkedin profiles of young trainee lawyers at these firms and see which universities they went to - that would be the best benchmark to help you decide where you should go to study to end up where you want to work.

Edited by Arrowhead