IB Economics hl vs Computer science hl

TMC

Hi!

I'm starting IB after the summer break and I am really interested in computer science, and it is a subject I will take. I understand the implications of taking it for when it comes to uni and that it will have little impact on any uni courses. I will also be taking econ, I'm just a bit afraid because from what I hear cs at HL sounds crazy hard. I am fairly competent in computer databases, systems and whatnot but I still fear that Cs HL would be too hard would changing Cs HL to sl and econ from sl to HL make sense, especially considering I have never taken any courses in economics?

Thanks for any responses.

• 1 month later...
Guest TheMagical7

I have not taken computer sciences, though I do plan on taking Economics HL next year.

My teachers, and many other fellow students say that the gap between SL and HL in Economics is not huge. 

From my experience of Economics, I would recommend you to consider it because personally, I find it very easy like a fair number of students. There are good textbooks. Search up Massive ib 150+ textbooks reddit, and look through the (detailed) Cambridge Economics HL book. Economics is all about understanding the concept, and applying it into an essay accompanied with a good diagram as diagrams are very important. You do need to be able to write concise essays, as that shows a strong understanding of the concept, and this also means that you do not need to be memorising every word. I pit my fellow classmates who memorise truckloads in Psychology XD

But, if you are interested in Computer science, take it! You want to be doing a subject you know you enjoy, if it will at least make it easier for you to do your other harder subjects.

[EDIT: Don't worry that you've never done Economics before. No one in my school did either, but even the textbook I mentioned has an introductory chapter. It's not really a problem.]

Edited by TheMagical7