Studying 3 languages (1 A, 2 Bs): bad for university admission?

ibdude

Unfortunately due to some circumstances I might have to study 3 languages - one A and two B languages (English and Spanish.)

I feel like this might not be seen positively by university admissions offices.

Since I'm going to study a STEM field and not linguistics or languages, I feel like out of the 4 non-language subject groups I should select as many STEM subjects as possible instead of yet another language.

What do you think? Is it a problem or can I still get into good universities?

Edited by ibdude

First, U.S./Canadian universities generally will be fine with your decision as long as you are meeting their basic requirements. Each university will have different requirements, but typically you'll need Math SL, Literature SL (or lang/lit), and a Language B SL as a minimum for admission. If you want to do sciences, you might need to have done a natural science at the HL level. But you have to check each university's website to know their specific requirements. 

As for Europe, I don't know much, but the top universities are going to require a 6 or 7 in the HL course which you decide to pursue in university. So basically Economics HL and Business and Management HL (You probably could take one at HL and one at SL). 

Group 1 classes (Literature A is a Group 1 class) are generally difficult in IB. I didn't find the amount of reading to be difficult; it's actually not that bad compared to other classes. It takes time and effort to learn how to write an effective analysis. That being said, it's certainly a worthwhile class that universities value. I believe you'll have to take it at least at SL to earn your diploma.

You didn't make it clear in your post if you wanted to study all three at HL, but frankly, that would not be a great plan. This is my personal opinion, but IB's standards for Group 2 classes are low. You might learn a lot in the class, but it won't really matter on the exams. Just looking at your post, I'd expect you to score a six or seven in English B HL without studying anything over the two years. 

My advice (especially considering your not wanting to study three language) would be to fight whatever circumstances may be. 

• Like 1