Do the CAS hours count for regular hs diploma volunteer hours?

IBBB

Hi,

I live in Ontario and the requirement to graduate is 40 volunteer hours.

I know in ib there is a CAS component and I am wondering if the hours from doing it would count towards the 40 hours I need for the diploma.

Also, if I start volunteering now, will it count towards CAS?

I think that the CAS vs volunteer hours crossover would depend on your school, so you would have to ask someone there. Also, from what I know, you cannot count anything for CAS until the first day of junior year.

Also, CAS requires 150 hours total across the three categories creativity, action, and service. You should have around 50 in each category on average, but I know other schools have different ways of doing it. For example, at my school, you need a minimum of 40 hours in each category. That means you could do 40 hours of creativity 65 hours of action, and 45 hours of service, or something like that.

Your 40 volunteer hours will not count towards CAS. Your school will push you finish your 40 volunteer hours in grade 9 and 10 because of this reason, they are separate requirements. You must finish your OSSD hours before you start getting CAS hours. It is not mandatory to finish your OSSD hours by the end of grade 10, but I don't recommend putting it off since then you would have to do both CAS and OSSD hours in grade 11 and 12. 

You really don't need to worry about CAS at this point since in most places you would have to wait until the beginning of grade 11 (September for you) to even start. Just focus on your OSSD hours and you will be all set for now. 

• Like 1