Worried about my Language B and Math Course Selections!

Rishona Vemulapalli

I need help with IB subject selections. I have just finished my second year of Pre-IB, and will be starting my first year of IB in the fall (Grade 11). However, I am worried about my subject selection for a couple of different reasons.

HL: Biology, English Language & Literature, History

SL: Math, French B, Chemistry 

Note that my school does not have many options for IB, and I will attach a picture of the courses available at my school. I am studying at St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary School in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. I am most concerned about my language B couse and math. 

Math: I am taking SL, but I am considering taking the Studies course. I received a 70 in Functions 11 this year, which I was very disappointed with. However, I want to study Biology in university, and most universities require Advanced Functions and/or Calculus & Vectors to be considered. My teacher said she could guarantee me a high 6 or low 7 with the studies course, however with SL she could promise maybe a high 4. Should I switch to Studies for the better grade, or stay is SL to keep my options open for Biology programs?

Language B: I am taking French, however I am not very good at the subject. I received a high 70 in Grade 10 Pre-IB french, and I struggled at the subject a lot. My grammar is the worst, along with other basic subjects. Would it be wise to switch into Ab Initio Spanish? I also heard I would then have 5 IB exams in May 2019, which isn't something I would look forward to. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 7.21.58 PM.jpg

In the French B SL exams, you will be expected to write short texts (~300 words) during exam and longer text with a dictionary and in both you have the freedom to use grammar rules you know well. Generally it is often enough to know present, futur simple, l'imparfait, and passe compose, maybe subjunctif if you really want. However if you do Spanish ab initio, you still need to produce written texts and you have to start learning Spanish grammar. In my school, grade 10 average grade for French was only 70% and we all took SL (only course offered, mostly 5s and 6s). 

I am not sure what Ontario credits are given at your school for Math Studies. If your school allows, I would start with Math SL and if it doesn't work out (say after year 1, or after few months), go to Studies. You mentioned that you will be taken 2 anticipated subjects after year 1 so I don't know if this is feasible. 

If you have time, review some math since grade 9 over the summer. I think Advanced Functions (MHF 4U) and Calc/Vectors (MCV 4U) are slightly above SL level so don't be too intimidated by SL. Ask your friends for study tips and if you have math questions you can always make use of this forum. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kw0573 said:

In the French B SL exams, you will be expected to write short texts (~300 words) during exam and longer text with a dictionary and in both you have the freedom to use grammar rules you know well. Generally it is often enough to know present, futur simple, l'imparfait, and passe compose, maybe subjunctif if you really want. However if you do Spanish ab initio, you still need to produce written texts and you have to start learning Spanish grammar. In my school, grade 10 average grade for French was only 70% and we all took SL (only course offered, mostly 5s and 6s). 

I am not sure what Ontario credits are given at your school for Math Studies. If your school allows, I would start with Math SL and if it doesn't work out (say after year 1, or after few months), go to Studies. You mentioned that you will be taken 2 anticipated subjects after year 1 so I don't know if this is feasible. 

If you have time, review some math since grade 9 over the summer. I think Advanced Functions (MHF 4U) and Calc/Vectors (MCV 4U) are slightly above SL level so don't be too intimidated by SL. Ask your friends for study tips and if you have math questions you can always make use of this forum. 

The Ontario credit received for the Studies course is a Data Management credit, so I might have to just take the SL course to keep biology programs open. 

Was there a lot of literature and reading components for French B SL? And do you think it would be helpful to practice reading comprehension of B1 and B2 level over the summer?

You can search the newest Language B guide to see mark breakdown. You are expected to read articles for written task and paper 1. 

I am unfamiliar with B1 abd B2. Easiest to just read french books at your reading level.

I'm from the same school region :)

You should absolutely take SL Math if you're planning on biology for university. SL is even slightly easier than the Grade 12 Ontario courses for advanced functions and calculus. If you work hard and study often, you can probably get a good score (screw your teacher who is promising that you'll get a mediocre mark). You really can't get anywhere with math studies unless you're going into arts

As for french, I found the teacher really does a good job with teaching grammar and my abilities improved by a lot. The ab initio Spanish course moves very quickly and you'll need to know grammar for Spanish before exam times. Pick the course you'll be most interested in :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VeronicaG said:

(screw your teacher who is promising that you'll get a mediocre mark]

Preach! Teachers sometimes have no idea what they're talking about. If you put the effort in you will do well, don't worry! You can always ask here when you're stuck!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rishona Vemulapalli said:

Was there a lot of literature and reading components for French B SL? And do you think it would be helpful to practice reading comprehension of B1 and B2 level over the summer?

There's no required literature in Language B SL.  For your IA, you have to read short articles of your choosing in the target language and incorporate them as sources but I can honestly say that relative to other subjects' IA's, the Language B one is fast and painless. 

My general advice for language learning is go with the highest level possible. Just listen to native speakers. There's nothing wrong with not being able to completely understand it; if you're watching TV in French and can't understand it, then put on French subtitles.

With books, I know it's annoying to have to constantly look up words but it will make you better; especially if you keep note of the words and repeatedly quiz yourself (I like to read on digital devices with a Spanish-language dictionary installed so that I can just tap on words and the definition instantly pops up). Even if you don't look the unknown words up, you can still usually understand the gist of the text.

I'd also recommend listening to podcasts (otherwise your listening/speaking skills can lag behind), and if you're really daring then download an app like HelloTalk so that you can speak to others while practicing the language. All of this will help immensely.

In my experience, Language B marking generally clumps students together (like @kw0573 said). Not too many people get low grades, but also not too many get 7's. Study the grammar. It's easy to do and its vital. Then it's just a matter of engaging with resources. It doesn't have to be boring. Next time your on Netflix, use a special code for French-language movies. You certainly have it better than I did with D-list Latin American soaps. 

20 hours ago, kw0573 said:

In the French B SL exams, you will be expected to write short texts (~300 words) during exam and longer text with a dictionary and in both you have the freedom to use grammar rules you know well

Being pedantic here, but unless it changes in 2018, I believe students are not issued or permitted dictionaries in any Language B exam (except Latin).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nomenclature said:

Being pedantic here, but unless it changes in 2018, I believe students are not issued or permitted dictionaries in any Language B exam (except Latin).

To clarify, I meant the written task you can have a dictionary.