Choosing a uni major

bumblebee29

Hello everyone,

I'm starting IB in September, and I'm already so excited, but scared! I'm worried that I still can't decide what I want to study at university. My dream is to study in the USA or Canada, and that's why I decided to pursue IB. I'm interested in so many different things, and I find myself thinking that I want to try everything, and the thought of choosing just one area of study freaks me out. I love traveling, art, solving difficult problems, working with numbers and formulas, reading (mostly non-fiction), learning foreign languages and so many other stuff... And I adore learning and trying new things! I'm quite introverted and not really a people person. My dad wants me to go into Economics or Law, but I find them too boring. He also suggests Computer Science, but I'm terrible with computers and programming! Lately I'm thinking about Neuroscience or Chemistry, but I'm not sure yet. As a child, I wanted to be a doctor or a diplomat or an architect. Now I can't  even understand if I want to go into humanities or science!

So here are my IB choices:

English Lang&Lit SL

French B HL

History HL

Maths HL

Chemistry HL

Physics SL

I chose Maths HL because I truly love maths,  and I want to challenge myself (people say I'm crazy). Initially I chose Psychology instead of History, but I decided to change, so I could keep my uni options more open. And I also wanted to take Biology, but it clashed with Maths so I had to change it to Physics (which I also enjoy). 

So I have absolutely no idea what to do. Maybe I should choose a major based on the subjects I'm taking? What can I do? Or should I do a double major?

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I'm desperate!

Thank you

Val

If you study in the States, you, generally, don't have to declare a major until your 2nd year. (And you can change after you declare.) In the States, you also take a bunch of general education classes regardless of your major.

My best advice is to follow your interests. Look at some colleges and see what courses they offer in the majors you are interested in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bumblebee29 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm starting IB in September, and I'm already so excited, but scared! I'm worried that I still can't decide what I want to study at university. My dream is to study in the USA or Canada, and that's why I decided to pursue IB. I'm interested in so many different things, and I find myself thinking that I want to try everything, and the thought of choosing just one area of study freaks me out. I love traveling, art, solving difficult problems, working with numbers and formulas, reading (mostly non-fiction), learning foreign languages and so many other stuff... And I adore learning and trying new things! I'm quite introverted and not really a people person. My dad wants me to go into Economics or Law, but I find them too boring. He also suggests Computer Science, but I'm terrible with computers and programming! Lately I'm thinking about Neuroscience or Chemistry, but I'm not sure yet. As a child, I wanted to be a doctor or a diplomat or an architect. Now I can't  even understand if I want to go into humanities or science!

So here are my IB choices:

English Lang&Lit SL

French B HL

History HL

Maths HL

Chemistry HL

Physics SL

I chose Maths HL because I truly love maths,  and I want to challenge myself (people say I'm crazy). Initially I chose Psychology instead of History, but I decided to change, so I could keep my uni options more open. And I also wanted to take Biology, but it clashed with Maths so I had to change it to Physics (which I also enjoy). 

So I have absolutely no idea what to do. Maybe I should choose a major based on the subjects I'm taking? What can I do? Or should I do a double major?

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I'm desperate!

Thank you

Val

Just give it time and see what area you're most interested in. There's honestly no rush at this point. Like what @IB_taking_over said, you don't need to declare a major until the end of first year or the end of second year (depending on the faculty you're in, and in addition the US, this also applies to Canadian universities).