Exam marking gone wrong - remark?

IB`NOT`ez

During my English Lang Lit SL exams, I swear I felt P2 was going to make up for P1. At the end however, I got an 18/20 for P1 but only 10/25 for P2, which is a 3. It was utterly unbelievable as I've been scoring 17-19/25 in P2s I've been doing just the week before, and I did feel the essay that I wrote was decent - a solid 19/25 as well.

Though it's definitely possible that I can just screw up that bad, I really doubt that was the case. So assuming that a major screw-up wasn't the problem, what could have caused the drastically low mark? My theory's that the examiner somehow thought the works I was discussing weren't the prescribed works I did in class and therefore I could not achieve high marks. Or perhaps could a booklet got lost?

Is there a way to find out the answers to the above questions without a remark, perhaps via DPC making an inquiry, or is a remark the only option? I actually only need 5 more marks on the P2 to move up a whole grade, yet I'm extremely sure that I did much better than a 15/25 and there was something that happened behind the scenes.

Does anyone have or heard of similar experiences? Also what is the maximum grade out of /25 one can achieve on English LaL SL P2 if he/she doesn't work about their prescribed works at all? If my score is similar to whats students can max get should they not be discussing their prescribed works, then it would seem that the examiner had thought I wasn't talking about my prescribed works.

Edited by IB`NOT`ez

You can pay 10 GBP to get a .pdf of your external assessments: written task, paper 1, and paper 2 in enquiry upon results category 2B. If others also have issue on the paper 2 then your coordinator may just request all P2 be returned for 31 GBP (likely free for you).

After reading your work, if you still believe it is worthy of a higher grade, you can still submit for a re-mark. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

You can pay 10 GBP to get a .pdf of your external assessments: written task, paper 1, and paper 2 in enquiry upon results category 2B. If others also have issue on the paper 2 then your coordinator may just request all P2 be returned for 31 GBP (likely free for you).

After reading your work, if you still believe it is worthy of a higher grade, you can still submit for a re-mark. 

Woah that's awesome. 10GBP for all the external assessments, or just one of them? Regardless I'll contact my DPC now if I can do that. My school didn't inform me the cost of other category enquiries so hope it's not exorbitant like the Category 1 remarks are.

10 hours ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

During my English Lang Lit SL exams, I swear I felt P2 was going to make up for P1. At the end however, I got an 18/20 for P1 but only 10/25 for P2, which is a 3. It was utterly unbelievable as I've been scoring 17-19/25 in P2s I've been doing just the week before, and I did feel the essay that I wrote was decent - a solid 19/25 as well.

Though it's definitely possible that I can just screw up that bad, I really doubt that was the case. So assuming that a major screw-up wasn't the problem, what could have caused the drastically low mark? My theory's that the examiner somehow thought the works I was discussing weren't the prescribed works I did in class and therefore I could not achieve high marks. Or perhaps could a booklet got lost?

Is there a way to find out the answers to the above questions without a remark, perhaps via DPC making an inquiry, or is a remark the only option? I actually only need 5 more marks on the P2 to move up a whole grade, yet I'm extremely sure that I did much better than a 15/25 and there was something that happened behind the scenes.

Does anyone have or heard of similar experiences? Also what is the maximum grade out of /25 one can achieve on English LaL SL P2 if he/she doesn't work about their prescribed works at all? If my score is similar to whats students can max get should they not be discussing their prescribed works, then it would seem that the examiner had thought I wasn't talking about my prescribed works.

Hi, can you tell me where you say your individual marking for each paper in?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick question about the remark for the SL French exam. Would the remark include remarking of the written assignment since it was uploaded on upload.ibis.ibo or does it only include remarking of Paper 1 and Paper 2 and not the written assignment?

1 hour ago, Uniboss said:

I had a quick question about the remark for the SL French exam. Would the remark include remarking of the written assignment since it was uploaded on upload.ibis.ibo or does it only include remarking of Paper 1 and Paper 2 and not the written assignment?

The remark is for everything that is not an internal assessment, which includes the written assignment

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, so I missed my UCL offer, got a 38 instead of 39. My course was Civil and Environmental Eng, and the subjects had were Math, chem, phy HL, hindi english and eco sl. It was pretty disappointing to get a 5 in english, my teacher couldn't believe it. I was 1-2 points away from the next grade in 2 subjects, and I was almost in tears when I got to know my grade. But thats not the point. I reallly wanted to go to UCL, so I sent in 3 subjects for a remark. it was something like 20000 rupees. This was in June this year. Fast forward to now, I am in UCL, and doing my course. I dont know whether the remark helped or not, but I remember sending in a long letter to the admissions office on why I think i should be given a chance. Imagine my happiness when I got a confirmation letter. So, things don't end, they might as well turn around in the most unexpected of ways. PS. the remark came out disappointing, no change in any grades.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...