In-text citations

ivy12003

I'm doing an English EE (Comparison paper). My advisor said that if i'm quoting someone more than once, I only mention their last name once and just continue with the page number until I switch authors. The thing is that I've searched a lot of MLA handbooks and I haven't found anything in regards to that. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Whoever told you that is basically lying to you and wants you to fail. (Please deal with my partially serious sarcasm).

You should cite each quote you put in your EE. You can cite either with parenthetical citations or footnotes, its up to you. (As long as you are consistent it doesn't matter which) In your EE, I would cite just do a quick (author, page) citation without an introduction (on page __ so in so in the novel written by so and so...). IB is so anti-plagiarism and I would bet that an examiner would deduct points for just having random page numbers as your citation.

:S

[quote name='flsweetheart422' post='29631' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:41 AM']Whoever told you that is basically lying to you and wants you to fail. (Please deal with my partially serious sarcasm).

You should cite each quote you put in your EE. You can cite either with parenthetical citations or footnotes, its up to you. (As long as you are consistent it doesn't matter which) In your EE, I would cite just do a quick (author, page) citation without an introduction (on page __ so in so in the novel written by so and so...). IB is so anti-plagiarism and I would bet that an examiner would deduct points for just having random page numbers as your citation.

:S [/quote]

What I meant was that let's say I'm quoting "___" (Author, page) and then in the second sentence I use the same source, can I just write (page) instead of including the author?

[quote name='ivy12003' post='29640' date='Dec 3 2008, 10:31 PM']What I meant was that let's say I'm quoting "___" (Author, page) and then in the second sentence I use the same source, can I just write (page) instead of including the author?[/quote]

You should always cite "___" (Author, page) every time. The citations technically don't' count in your word count, so there is no reason not to and its more precise.

it's actually (Author's last name, year published: page) if you're using the Harvard system. For the footnotes system you just put the whole reference as in your bibliography in a footnote with the page number in the end. if the same citation is repeated after each other just write ibid and page number- or (ibid. page) for Harvard system.

[quote name='~Lc~' post='29650' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:53 PM']it's actually (Author's last name, year published: page) if you're using the Harvard system. For the footnotes system you just put the whole reference as in your bibliography in a footnote with the page number in the end. if the same citation is repeated after each other just write ibid and page number- or (ibid. page) for Harvard system.[/quote]

Thanks, LOL. But I think I'm going to use MLA format.

ivy, you can use this system:

Surname, Name (of the author). [i]Title of the book[/i]. Publisher. Place of publication, year of publication. Page #.
(This is what you have to write in the footnote). To repeat the author you can just write:
Idem #.
For instance:
Orwell, George. [i]Animal Farm[/i]. Penguin Books. Great Britain, 1987. Page 15.
Idem 17.

The ibid rule applies to all systems as far as i know. Elsa is right, as long as the quotations follow each other in the same paragraph you can just do (ibid pg). As soon as you quote a different author you switch back to (author page) after which the ibid rule applies again until you quote a different author.
Come to think of it I actually just did (pagenumber) when I did my WL's, it might be different for MLA in that after you cite the first time using (author pg) and continue citing in the paragraph then (pg) suffices and replaces (ibid pg) until you quote a diff work.
I just checked 'Rules of Thumb' 7th Edition. After you've already cited the author you can just do (pgnumber).