Chem IA Melting/Casting Alloys Help

Sleek

G'day tigers.

I've run into a bit of a massive pickle basically.

For my Chemistry IA, I reckon I've bitten of significantly more than I'm able to comfortably or even uncomfortably chew. The only thing I knew going into the Chem IA was that if I did a titration based prac I was probably going to commit seppuku, or hold my face over a bunsen burner, and so with that in mind I decided to investigate

"The effect percentage composition of tin has on the electrical conductivity of lead based solder' which sounds nice and pretentious for the bigwigs.

The problem that I've run into dearest fellow IB masochists, is that, after melting down and casting a whole bunch of different %Tin and Lead alloys , I've now discovered that given that I've casted them into small 5g round ingots, their electrical resistance is negligible when I try and test them with a multimeter, even just the straight lead and straight tin test the same. The only possible solution I can think of is maybe drawing them into some kind of wire? But I've got both no idea or means to do that, or concrete knowledge of if it would even help

As such, I'm left with about 7 different samples of different percentage tin and lead alloys, and no independent variable.

Is there anyway you genius friends can think of salvaging this train-wreck of an IA? Or possibly a different more sensitive tool to test their conductivity that I've missed (besides 3 digit multimeter)?

I'm incredibly sorry if I've come across flippant, I assure you it's just a sign of panic.

<3

Forgive me for saying this, but your topic wasn't that strong anyways. I think it's best if you find some quick and easy experimentation. If you are keen on doing electricity-related IA you can always do it on redox. 

Edited by kw0573

Is it not? Ah well, I thought I would've had rather a lot to talk about given both electron-phonon coupling, phase diagrams and the anomaly of the conductivity of Sn and Pb. Thank you so much for your advice though, is there an experiment off the top of your head for redox that might be suitable?

Wow you know more theory than I thought. The resistivity of both lead and tin are in the magnitude of 10-8 ohm meter. This is very hard to measure using high school equipment. You can try to do other physical tests on the ingots. I cannot suggest you a topic but you can look around the forum and online for idea. 

• Like 1