Should I request a remark?

bioguy213

Hello, guys! I hope that you are all doing great after the results day. I am thinking about requesting remarks in the following subjects:

Dutch A: Lit SL 6  ( 3 points away from a 7)

Biology HL: 6 ( According to the component grades, I had 79.6% whereas the upper-grade boundary is 80%)

Economics SL: 5 ( 61.6% whereas the upper-grade boundary is 63%)

Chemistry HL: 5 (61% whereas 64% is a 6)

Other questions:

1. For Lang A: Lit SL, is Written Assignment also remarked (I had 19/25)?

2. For Bio, should I just pass the 80% mark (e.g. with the additional 0.5%)  in order to get a 7 or I need 81%?

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks! ^_^

P.S. I am still waiting for some of the component grades (Dutch and Chem)...

Edited by bioguy213
Just checked, the upper grade boundary for Chem HL is actually 64%

I would definitely request for a remark for Biology HL, it's so close to a 7. For other subjects, Chem and Econ are also possible within the 2% range. 

To answer your other questions:  

1. Written assessment can also be remarked.  

2. If you get over 80.0%, you will get a 7. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bioguy213 said:

Thank you very much for your advice!

What about Lang A Lit? If they are going to remark the both papers and WLE, would it be possible to get 3 points? -_-

It would be possible.

Also I have a subject with a 0.57% decimal and it is indeed rounded upwards, so an 80.50% should be rounded off to an 81% - hence a 7.

Like Inriya said, I would also recommend remarking Economics as you actually only need 1% more. However I would be circumspect with remarking Chemistry as 3% is not so easy to get - you're only going to be able to gain marks in Paper 2 and Paper 3 as Paper 1 is computer marked and IAs are set. Moreover if you took the Chemistry TZ2 Paper 2 HL exam, from my memory nearly all the calculation questions were worth only 1 mark (barring the Energetics calc questions) so it would be impossible to gain partial marks for correct working. Therefore instead I would consider remarking Dutch as there are 3 assessments where yo ucan potentially gain marks on with a slightly greater degree of subjectivity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

It would be possible.

Also I have a subject with a 0.57% decimal and it is indeed rounded upwards, so an 80.50% should be rounded off to an 81% - hence a 7.

Like Inriya said, I would also recommend remarking Economics as you actually only need 1% more. However I would be circumspect with remarking Chemistry as 3% is not so easy to get - you're only going to be able to gain marks in Paper 2 and Paper 3 as Paper 1 is computer marked and IAs are set. Moreover if you took the Chemistry TZ2 Paper 2 HL exam, from my memory nearly all the calculation questions were worth only 1 mark (barring the Energetics calc questions) so it would be impossible to gain partial marks for correct working. Therefore instead I would consider remarking Dutch as there are 3 assessments where yo ucan potentially gain marks on with a slightly greater degree of subjectivity.

Thank you a lot for your detailed answer! I completely agree with you two, so I'll probably first go with the Bio and Eco remarks, and then if they are successful I'll proceed with the other two. In fact, I do not have a conditional offer, but I noticed that I am just few marks away from the upper grades, so I might as well give it a try. This way, I will save a bit of money and still request remarks.   

1 hour ago, bioguy213 said:

Thank you a lot for your detailed answer! I completely agree with you two, so I'll probably first go with the Bio and Eco remarks, and then if they are successful I'll proceed with the other two. In fact, I do not have a conditional offer, but I noticed that I am just few marks away from the upper grades, so I might as well give it a try. This way, I will save a bit of money and still request remarks.   

Indeed, that's similar to what I'm doing as well - planning to remark English as I believe the mark I got for one of the papers was downright ridiculous. If that works well, I might remark EE for the sake of all the effort and passion I've put into. That said, a successful English remark will allow me to gain more credits at my university so that is the practical goal.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick question about the remark for the SL French exam. Would the remark include remarking of the written assignment since it was uploaded on upload.ibis.ibo or does it only include remarking of Paper 1 and Paper 2 and not the written assignment?

18 minutes ago, Uniboss said:

I had a quick question about the remark for the SL French exam. Would the remark include remarking of the written assignment since it was uploaded on upload.ibis.ibo or does it only include remarking of Paper 1 and Paper 2 and not the written assignment?

Yes, the Written Assignment does get remarked as it is considered an external assessment.