Hey guys this is my first year in IB. I'm 15 years old and th

I recently got my first report card and here are my results:

Math- 2

English- 5

Biology- 5

Business and management- 6

Japanese- 6

Environmental Systems of society- 5

These grades do not count towards my overall diploma only the next to years do.

I'm planning on doing

Math studies

HL Biology

HL Business and Management

HL English

I feel as if I have done terrible because in grade 9 I went from a straight A student to someone who is only achieving average marks. I have always been bad at math hence I'm doing math studies but for the remaining semester I would really like to at least achieve a 4.

Do you guys have any tips that can help do this, also do you guys have any advice for the high level subjects?

Any advice would be Appreciated!

Also I only joined yesterday so I'm not to sure how this works :)

21 minutes ago, Clace said:

Hey guys this is my first year in IB. I'm 15 years old and th

I recently got my first report card and here are my results:

Math- 2

English- 5

Biology- 5

Business and management- 6

Japanese- 6

Environmental Systems of society- 5

These grades do not count towards my overall diploma only the next to years do.

I'm planning on doing

Math studies

HL Biology

HL Business and Management

HL English

I feel as if I have done terrible because in grade 9 I went from a straight A student to someone who is only achieving average marks. I have always been bad at math hence I'm doing math studies but for the remaining semester I would really like to at least achieve a 4.

Do you guys have any tips that can help do this, also do you guys have any advice for the high level subjects?

Any advice would be Appreciated!

Also I only joined yesterday so I'm not to sure how this works :)

this is a good start. http://www.studbuds.org/2017/02/02/sage-advice-from-an-ib-veteran-to-juniors-soon-to-be-ibers/

• Like 1

For HL Biology, persistence is the key in getting a high grade. Biology has a lot and a lot of things being covered, so you may need to revise bits by bits. I would highly recommend taking notes, so before IB exams, you can reread it and still remember the content. 

Cliché: To solve a problem, you have to know what the problem is. Instead of asking about general tips, a better way to phrase the question is "this is what I am doing, what I should I do instead?". If you any specific questions about the subjects or subject content, you are always welcomed to post on this website. I think if you have been getting good marks, it's definitely not a question of capability. For math I would say you need to review /consolidate some of the basics before moving on to new content. Any time you have a math problem you can always reach out to me. 

To add to what @inriya said, biology HL is going to be quite a lot of memorising. In order to stay sane I suggest you keep tract of all the notes, powerpoints and lectures/classes. As you go through with the unit, start making flashcards where you condense all the information from the book and the notes/handouts. It will take some time to complete, but when exam season rolls in you will just have to study from your handy-dandy flashcards. They were my lifesaver.

Good luck.