hey, so I recently started brainstorming on what I can do for my chemistry IA. I am doing HL chemistry and I am going into the final year of IB. I have somewhat of a basis on what I want to do. I want to do titration, having the acid be hydrochloric acid and using various basic solutions. For the basic solutions, I want to create solutions from some antacids and compare how each antacid works by seeing how much of each is needed for the pH of the acid to reach and maintain a neutral pH. I'm not sure if this is going to work because this idea is still in the works. Any ideas or tips on how I can improve?? 

Do a trial and see if it works before you actually start preparing your IA (it should actually work if you use enough volume of the antacids). Also if your school owns one use a magnetic stirrer for more accurate results as it stirrs at the same speed evenly, whereas by hand that might be difficult. 

Hope this helps :) 

4 hours ago, Jennita said:

hey, so I recently started brainstorming on what I can do for my chemistry IA. I am doing HL chemistry and I am going into the final year of IB. I have somewhat of a basis on what I want to do. I want to do titration, having the acid be hydrochloric acid and using various basic solutions. For the basic solutions, I want to create solutions from some antacids and compare how each antacid works by seeing how much of each is needed for the pH of the acid to reach and maintain a neutral pH. I'm not sure if this is going to work because this idea is still in the works. Any ideas or tips on how I can improve?? 

You're going to need to clearly define some quantities ie. conc and vol of acid, and what you're actually trying to compare between the antacids. The concentration of a certain metal perhaps? This experiment is overdone, but with good execution it can still earn relatively high marks. You should set very clear and precise parameters for your antacids, and justify your choice in them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

You're going to need to clearly define some quantities ie. conc and vol of acid, and what you're actually trying to compare between the antacids. The concentration of a certain metal perhaps? This experiment is overdone, but with good execution it can still earn relatively high marks. You should set very clear and precise parameters for your antacids, and justify your choice in them.

For my IA, I was thinking of comparing the efficacy of different types of antacids like sodium bicarbonate antacids, calcium carbonate antacids, aluminum-based antacids, and magnesium-compound antacids. In regards to the hydrochloric acid, I have to contact my school to see which concentration of the acid we have and/or we can get, but I think that I will have a volume of about 200 mL. Would that be enough to perform at least one trial on? 

18 hours ago, shellziess said:

Do a trial and see if it works before you actually start preparing your IA (it should actually work if you use enough volume of the antacids). Also if your school owns one use a magnetic stirrer for more accurate results as it stirrs at the same speed evenly, whereas by hand that might be difficult. 

Hope this helps :) 

Yeah! I heard that a magnetic stirrer will help make the experiment run more smoothly! Is it possible to obtain hydrochloric acid from stores?