URGENT MATHS SL IA ADVICE

Dotti22

Hi Everyone,

So I had the idea for my maths IA to model my sleep cycle (an example is shown in the picture) to determine the average length of my individual cycle & try and determine the best points to wake/sleep. Any feedback/expansions on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! Image result for sleep cycle graph

Edited by Dotti22

5 hours ago, kw0573 said:

You should quantify the vertical axis. Also give units on both axes. 

Yep I definitely will do that :) Do you have an possible expansions on this topic as first I am going to try and model it just by eye, then try to find a curve of best fit. Then I can determine the time periods where the lightest sleep occurs & therefore the best times to wake up. But I feel like I need some more maths involved, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Dotti22

Often it's better if you explain the formula/concept behind linear regression (or other best fit techniques) rather than just applying them. I think if you do that and quantify effectively then there should be enough math. Examiners also suggest that people explain graphs and any trends observed rather than just include a graph for no reason and not talk about it. 

Now I don't have a solution in mind, but if you assign discrete values of  awake = 0, sleep = 1, deep sleep = 2, then for something like 1.5, it becomes completely meaningless. An effective way to quantify the vertical axis is allow meaningful numbers on a continuous scale. 

1 minute ago, kw0573 said:

Now I don't have a solution in mind, but if you assign discrete values of  awake = 0, sleep = 1, deep sleep = 2, then for something like 1.5, it becomes completely meaningless. An effective way to quantify the vertical axis is allow meaningful numbers on a continuous scale. 

Okay, I get where you are coming from, but I am a bit confused on how to make the numbers "meaningful". Do you mean doing something like sleep is from 1 < x < 2?

Just now, Dotti22 said:

Okay, I get where you are coming from, but I am a bit confused on how to make the numbers "meaningful". Do you mean doing something like sleep is from 1 < x < 2?

I mean that the vertical axis should take values from a continuous scale, not specific values of 0, 1, or 2. And every point plotted should have some physical meaning regards to level of sleep. This is a key component of your IA and I leave you to figure out the details.