Geography or History HL

CelineLC

I will be starting the IB this fall. I realized that most UNIs don't accept math studies for a lot of career paths. I would love to persue law in the future, which math studies for a majority of universities allows. However I'm also interested in studying Econ and/or business, therefor I will need math at SL. I've decided to go with math SL, although math is not my strongest subject. I realized I will need to dedicate a lot of time to maths. I finished with a 6.4/10 in Dutch math A, math SL is basically Dutch math A with the basics of Dutch math B ( a harder and more abstract version of SL math). With that being said, my math is not that strong. I don't suck, however I don't invest enough time. I tend to cram the whole semester(8 weeks), 2 weeks before the exams. I want to keep the rest of my subjects as easy as possible, so I can dedicate as much time as possible to math. 

Moving on to my actual Point:

I finished the 10th grade with a 10/10 for History in the Dutch system, a pretty hard course. I have strong English skills and will take Econ as a HL (For sure) alongside History HL or Geography HL. I finished with a 8/10 in the 9th grade for geography and loved the subject. I've heard that history in the IB is a pretty hard course (My school has really strong IB History teachers), however geography is known to be relatively easy in IB. My question is: Wich subject is more beneficial to take, if I want to keep my score high (37+) and have as much time as possible to dedicate to math SL, since I'm weak in that area?

Subject picks:

English Lang&lit: HL

Economics: HL

Geograpy/History: HL

French ab initio: SL

ESS: SL

Math:SL

Pros and cons about HIstory and Geography HL are highly apreciated.

P.S I love both subjects 😌

Geography is not as easy as people claim it to be and the SL course is actually one of my lowest grades. History HL will be very helpful to be admitted into a law program after high school and it will depend on if the universities of your choice require it. If not, I would say go with Geography HL as it's easier than History HL. 

• Like 1

Being a history student I can confirm that history is a pretty tough subject, especially at HL. I wanted to study law before I got into IB2, so I can confirm that most unis (I would even go as far and say none of them) do not require History. It is just recommended because of the argumentative skills you aquire in History, but you also need to write argumentative essays in Geography and Geography overlaps well with Economics, so I'd choose Geography.

Edited by shellziess
  • Like 2