EE help: how to analyze political speeches?

Ethel

I'm doing my EE in english B and the topic is ''How has the rhetoric of Donald Trump's speeches changed before and after he was elected as the president of the United States?''. 

I have done my research part. The part that I'm stuck on is what parts of speech should I analyze and write about? I was thinking about tone, vocabulary (most frequently used words) and style (long/short sentences, how long are the speeches etc.). I feel like I definitely need more to write about. I have never analyzed a speech like this before and would appreciate some help! 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:27 AM, Ethel said:

I'm doing my EE in english B and the topic is ''How has the rhetoric of Donald Drumpf's speeches changed before and after he was elected as the president of the United States?''. 

I have done my research part. The part that I'm stuck on is what parts of speech should I analyze and write about? I was thinking about tone, vocabulary (most frequently used words) and style (long/short sentences, how long are the speeches etc.). I feel like I definitely need more to write about. I have never analyzed a speech like this before and would appreciate some help! 

I think you are definitely on the right track by looking at the tone, vocab and style because your RQ talks about looking at the rhetoric (which "the art of speaking or writing efficiently"). When analyzing the speeches, ask yourself about Trump's agenda in those particular passages. Ask yourself why the language of his speeches has such an appeal to the people who support him. This is an English EE, so try to not stray into a discussion on politics too much (even though it's really tempting considering the terrible things he's said).

Hope I helped a bit :D

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 3