Starting the IB in August, please help!

macbakeib88

Hi! 

I'm starting the IB this August and I am wondering what is is like. 

Is it true that you won't really have a social life? I'm also doing sports 4 times a week and I'm wondering whether I can still keep that up, or if I have to drop it. Also, I was wondering what CAS is and how you would go about and complete it. I'm completely new to all of this and I know practically nothing. 

I'm taking these subjects:

English Lang Lit HL
Chemistry HL
Film HL

Psych SL
Chinese B SL
Maths SL

If anyone has any experience in those subjects please let me know what they are like! Thank you so much in advance. 

It depends on how you manage your time. I cannot tell you exactly if you must drop the sports, you will see it by yourself once you start. For English there is not a lot of work unless you are bad in languages (aka like me) then you do have to invest time in it (again depends on the person). Also CAS is explained in the IB Guide so I would look that up if I was you. It is pretty straight forward and you should not be scared of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2017 at 2:56 AM, macbakeib88 said:

Hi! 

Is it true that you won't really have a social life? I'm also doing sports 4 times a week and I'm wondering whether I can still keep that up, or if I have to drop it. Also, I was wondering what CAS is and how you would go about and complete it. I'm completely new to all of this and I know practically nothing. 

English Lang Lit HL
Chemistry HL
Film HL

Psych SL
Chinese B SL
Maths SL

If anyone has any experience in those subjects please let me know what they are like! Thank you so much in advance. 

Hi there, 

Well, if you want to drop the sports or not depends on you and your circunstances. Personally I have just passed IB1 and did more extracurricular stuff than ever during the school year but also studied more than ever. Most probably you won't have to drop it.

Don't worry about CAS, your teachers will tell you exactly what to do and every school organises it in their own way. You will surely have to do some hours of community service, sport with your friends and also anything creative. Don't agonise over CAS, it's the IB funny spot.

Literature HL  is quite an easy subject if you're good at writing. I do Spanish Literature HL, but I wonder that it's the same.

I take Maths SL and it is easy if you have a good Math background, not for me, as I see.

For language B, I recomend you to read lots of articles, newspapers and that stuff in the target language. If you are fluent you can get an easy 6 or even 7.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:38 PM, clauiblovelanguages said:

Hi there, 

Well, if you want to drop the sports or not depends on you and your circunstances. Personally I have just passed IB1 and did more extracurricular stuff than ever during the school year but also studied more than ever. Most probably you won't have to drop it.

Don't worry about CAS, your teachers will tell you exactly what to do and every school organises it in their own way. You will surely have to do some hours of community service, sport with your friends and also anything creative. Don't agonise over CAS, it's the IB funny spot.

Literature HL  is quite an easy subject if you're good at writing. I do Spanish Literature HL, but I wonder that it's the same.

I take Maths SL and it is easy if you have a good Math background, not for me, as I see.

For language B, I recomend you to read lots of articles, newspapers and that stuff in the target language. If you are fluent you can get an easy 6 or even 7.

Thank you so much for your tips!! I really appreciate it and I hope IB won't be extremely stressful when I start it in a couple weeks! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/26/2017 at 8:56 AM, macbakeib88 said:

Hi! 

English Lang Lit HL
Chemistry HL
Film HL

Psych SL
Chinese B SL
Maths SL

Like what Shellzie said, it really depends on how you manage your time. I have seniors who are able to do well in their studies while maintaining a social circle. So, don't fret about it too much!