How to define love?

filmjolk

It's an old old old question, and there are so many definitions for it. But why is there then only one word to describe it? (in English there are more, and there are more in other languages).

Go listen to some Chinese songs (Especially Hong Kong with its many sad songs. And yes, china is not the only country who produces love songs.), they are so cluttered with metaphors and definitions, or just go read some love poems.

Maybe the real question is if we all want our "own" love to be special and different from others, or if we just view it that way and try to make it look as if it's different from others love. If it's so, then why is it so important to have a "special" love?

Love is staying up till 4 in the morning,..with tears flowing... <-- great song.

Been there done that ;)

The question is how to define love. It comes in so many forms, so are we really content with only saying love? Love doesn't really describe a certain group of things. I would like to compare love to art.

This is just my own opinion but here it goes:

Love is something that needs time to develop and it some cases it doesn't at all. I am focusing here on the kind of love existing between two lovers, not parental love or such.

Affection is what get the relationship going and as the relationship expands through it grows. People often mistake this growth for love. Love is when you'd sacrifice ANYTHING and EVERYTHING for a certain someone. Your own family, dreams and life. Put up with everything you've ever promised yourself never to do and forget all your passions and dreams. Would for example give up education and never even so much as look at a book for the rest of your life if you have a passion and ambition for education, just if it meant saving your beloved in an extreme circumstance.

• 3 years later...

love is joy+happiness.

according to psychology and that one person who did the experiment on emotions(can't remember off the top of my head).

no i kid you. love is love. simple as that. you can't describe it since it's different for everyone even if it seems similar.

• 2 weeks later...

I like how Anne Frank defined it:

Love, what is love? I don’t think you can really put it into words. Love is understanding someone, caring for him, sharing his joy and sorrows. This eventually includes physical love. You’ve shared something, given something away and received something in return, whether or not you’re married, whether or not you have a baby. Losing your virtue doesn’t matter, as long as you know that for as long as you live you’ll have someone at your side who understands you, and who doesn’t have to be shared with anyone else

• 3 weeks later...

Love is a mixture of oxytocin, obsession and attraction. :P

Lol, well i think that love is when someone becomes an exception to your rules.

When his happiness and sorrows become yours and vice versa.

But honestly, that love where everything is perfect and lovey dovey is simply fake.

Love should be about experiencing all emotions and yet still remaining in love.

Like he can annoy you to no end but yet he should also be able to make you smile like a fool lol.

And yet you would still love him.