history IA

australiANgel

Hm. Well, I think it's perhaps quite difficult to answer. I mean... What sort of evidence could you use in that question? Because it asks if it was justified then I can't imagine that you could find evidence to support either stand. But this is just what I think. Also, it sounds more like a TOK question to me ;) You should probably discuss with your teacher (in case you already haven't?).

[quote name='australiANgel' post='29821' date='Dec 6 2008, 07:43 PM']hey,

i want to write my topic on "was the decision to drop the atom bomb on hiroshima and nagasaki justified?"
do you think this topic is too common? do you think lots of people would do it? and would it be too broad to write only 2000 words on?

comments?

thanks everyone :)[/quote]

DUDE
MY EXACT TOPIC :P

Well, almost. That's what I wanted to write mine on - but I had the same conservations i.e. is it too broad? Is it too TOK?

Anyway, before I settled on my question I did a LOT of reading. And basically I found that the entire section of historiography on this is totally controversial - no one agrees with anyone.. so definitely do a little reading on your own, pick a small issue that you can examine in detail and go for it :help: No lack of viewpoints here.

If you're interested, my topic ended up being whether there was a 'real' decision to use nuclear weapons. It was an EXTREMELY ToK question but I got 19/20, so it's fine as long as you address your topic with DETAILED, hardcore historical evidence. it's a great topic for this type of thing. :)

Edited by eblake

[quote name='eblake' post='30441' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:35 AM']DUDE
MY EXACT TOPIC :D

Well, almost. That's what I wanted to write mine on - but I had the same conservations i.e. is it too broad? Is it too TOK?

Anyway, before I settled on my question I did a LOT of reading. And basically I found that the entire section of historiography on this is totally controversial - no one agrees with anyone.. so definitely do a little reading on your own, pick a small issue that you can examine in detail and go for it :) No lack of viewpoints here.

If you're interested, my topic ended up being whether there was a 'real' decision to use nuclear weapons. It was an EXTREMELY ToK question but I got 19/20, so it's fine as long as you address your topic with DETAILED, hardcore historical evidence. it's a great topic for this type of thing. :( [/quote]

hey
thanks for the ideas. A 'real' decision? that sounds hard.
but thank you :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,
I think this is an OK topic you just need to see if there are conflicting sources on it (which there obviously are).
Also choose either hiroshima or nagasaki to narrow it a bit and oerhaps only two sources or 2 groups with same accounts and contrast them.
I think it will do well as long as you can find decent, reliable and relevant accounts.

=)good luck -
divided.