EE format for english

australiANgel

My first idea was to write it on a single book but my tutor told me it was better to compare two literary works. Your thesis should be narrow and original (something that hasn't been explored so much). Remember that you can also use stories instead of a novel. The comparison between two works is not hard if you handle the texts good enough. G'luck with your choice!

you don't have to write a comparison at all. i had -planned on doing a complarison and then decided that i just wanted to focus on one of the two books that i was writting mine on. i statrted out comparing Kafka's symobls in hios Mtamophasis, and symbols in Lord of the Flies. i decided that i didn't want to write on kafks' work any more and i droped it and what i basically did was talk about all of the symbol that i found in the book (didn't talk about people begin symbolic) and then realted them to one or more of thre themes that i identified in the book.

just rememeber that the book (or if you are using more than one) has to be written in yuor native language.

good luck

Edited by IBStuck

Well, really it depends on how you want to approach it. A friend of mine did an amazing paper on how ancient Athenian playwrights treated the concept of democracy, since they were the world's first authors to live in a democratic state. Fascinating essay, and in the end he was able to tie it to modern day stuff and all that. I probably just did a terrible job describing it, but the idea is that it's something with a little kick to it, that makes it more than just two random authors who get compared to eachother.

Guest thoughts13

for my ee in english as well
I'm exploring one theme within 3 of the same authours books
not a comparison.
so in short
no it does have to be a comparison.
yes it can be.

A word of caution: Make sure your EE isn't like your WL. A girl last year in my school got a C or D on her essay because the examiners said that it didn't show cultural or societal awareness and perspectives. They said it was basically like another WL. She wrote about the themes of adultery in 3 books in her EE.

I just finished my EE, and it's on Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. My question was to do with how the author's use the heroines in their novels to challenge social conventions at the time. My supervisor said it should receive a good mark hopefully, as I talk about the social background in addition to how the author's use their characters.

My question wasn't "....a comparison between...". But I did end up comparing the two heroines.