felipelorenzi

Hi,

I am trying to come up with an EE topic (I am already pretty late on this whole EE thing) and the only subject left for me to do it in is economics :(

I came up with the idea of producing my EE around the topic of books and ebooks, mostly because an uncle of mine actually runs a book distribution company and can help me a lot in finding info. My research question right now is: "To what extent did the introduction of e-books in affect the demand and sales for paperback books in the São Paulo region of Brazil?". I live in São Paulo, Brazil, by the way...

While I think this might be pretty viable, it has a few problems as the demand and sales for books and e-books is constantly changing everywhere, for many reasons, especially now in the economic mess Brazil is. Because of this, I think it would be very hard to form a cause-and-effect relationship between the books and e-books. Also, according to this uncle of mine, who knows quite a bit about the topic, it would be hard to find information regarding specific sales and the effects of e-books in any one city or region of Brazil, but finding info for the whole country might be possible.

As I mentioned, this topic seemed good at first but now presents many practical problems. It would be nice to be able to stick to the whole books theme, but if it's not possible, I will switch to another topic.

Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions, ideas or anything to say on the topic? Anything would be useful really, so if you can think of something please send it my way!

Thank you in advance!

PS - I've also heard that it might be a good idea to keep my EE focused on microeconomics. Is that true? Thanks again

To keep your topic focused on micro-economics is better as you can conduct surveys and collect data. I believe this shows a greater level "personal engagement" to IB. Moreover, you should stick to your city as taking the entire country will make the topic "too broad" and you will have too many variables which you might not be able to control. 

Also, check out the extended essay guide for 2018 in the files section of this website, it will help you get a general idea of what the EE entails.