For admissions, how do I explain I had a bad junior year but am/will pick it up by senior year?

lolkeinthatsghey

Summing up things, did perfectly fine living with my poor life until a lot hit me this year (already poor to really poor, stress of little money for my siblings [4 of them] to also go to college, etc) 

I could only join 1 club last year as a junior due to money problems and will be joining another club next year and that's it. Also, because of the mountain of stress occupying my brain 24/7, I had a really rump year with my grades (made a 4 on Chem SL, but I will work very hard for other ib subjects next year). 

I know it seems like a bunch of excuses, but my mind just couldn't really cope with it until now. I'm worried that my universities of choice will not like how I handled the situation, and won't know how I will handle everything in my senior year (as they primarily look at junior year) when I will recover from everything.

How do I make sure to explain why I had a rump in my junior year? Or explain to them I only have 1 extra curricular? Should I not even apply to my university goals and aim for a bit lower?

Universitiy goals: John Hopkins or Baylor University 

Edited by lolkeinthatsghey

In your applications you should mention your struggles and how you overcame or coped with them. Do not overlook your financial struggles in your applications just because they are a problem that doesn't originate from your academic life.

If I remember correctly, there was someone (can't remember their name) who made it into Harvard with a very low GPA (<2 I think) because they had to support their family and had to prioritize their 2 jobs over school. Their struggles showed that they were resilient, determined, prioritized appropriate tasks, and could handle the university workload. 

I don't know the specifics of your situation but just from reading this I can tell that you are spending your very limited resources towards your extra curriculars/academics, which shows your determination to go to uni.

Good luck applying, and good luck with your situation :) 

• Like 1