Math SL IA Topic

strugglingIB

I have to do my IA over the summer, and I have approximately a little less than a month to finish it. I have no clue what to do it on, any help? I know I have to choose something I'm interested in, but I don't know how to connect math to the few things I like. ex. reading, television, video games, food, death, candy, science. I really don't know what to do and would greatly appreciate any help/advice. 

You don't have to choose something you are interested in, and in fact it's better to write about math you are most comfortable with. (Also one of the things you listed is unlike the others). 

I suggest that you just try to think of as many ideas as possible, 30 is a good number. Think about anything related to numbers, probability, statistics, graphs, geometry ... write them down, even if they may seem terrible. Then look over the list, see if anything you can improve upon and eliminate all the ones you don't know anything about. Basically if you know what you are talking about you should be able to score at least 12-13/20 with revision. 

20 hours ago, kw0573 said:

You don't have to choose something you are interested in, and in fact it's better to write about math you are most comfortable with. (Also one of the things you listed is unlike the others). 

I suggest that you just try to think of as many ideas as possible, 30 is a good number. Think about anything related to numbers, probability, statistics, graphs, geometry ... write them down, even if they may seem terrible. Then look over the list, see if anything you can improve upon and eliminate all the ones you don't know anything about. Basically if you know what you are talking about you should be able to score at least 12-13/20 with revision. 

Thank you for answering!! 

I was thinking of researching the connection between CO2 levels with the rise in population throughout the years and then connect that to life expectancy levels and how the CO2 affects it. Would this be a good idea? If so, could you help me out with some ways to show the correlation between them? Like certain types of graphs or something.  

On 05/08/2017 at 3:38 PM, kw0573 said:

I mean you should work out the specifics with your teacher. I would like to warn you that many stats IAs get unnecessarily complicated or convoluted that the communication becomes poor.

Okay, that doesn't sound too good but I still don't have any other ideas, so I think I'm going to stick with this one and hope it works out. I'll try to keep it as complicated as it should be. Can you give me some ideas or anything to do this thing?