Jump to content

Are your IB marks useful for the future...?

Recommended Posts

...job applications?

...job applications as a teacher?

...Master studies?

scholarships in the future?

I ask this because I don't need the mark for university and if the mark actually is only useful for coursing a degree and for any other thing it  will only be taken into account that I got the diploma, I don't know if it pays off to do the big effort that I am doing at the moment in order to get good marks.

Please tell me what do you think :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, clauiblovelanguages said:

...job applications?

...job applications as a teacher?

...Master studies?

scholarships in the future?

I ask this because I don't need the mark for university and if the mark actually is only useful for coursing a degree and for any other thing it  will only be taken into account that I got the diploma, I don't know if it pays off to do the big effort that I am doing at the moment in order to get good marks.

Please tell me what do you think :)

job applications? I doubt it, unless you don't have a bachelors degree.

job applications as a teacher? Perhaps if you're looking into teaching an IB course - having studied and performed well in it is definitely a plus.

master studies? definitely doubt it - otherwise what's the point of your next 4 years of further studies.

scholarships in the future? Now this is where IB marks will matter, but it still depends on the country and schools you're applying to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To an extent. I am currently doing an internship (I've just finished my second year at university), and I was asked to provide the company with both my IB results and my GCSE equivalents. Funnily enough, they didn't ask for my uni grades. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gaby said:

To an extent. I am currently doing an internship (I've just finished my second year at university), and I was asked to provide the company with both my IB results and my GCSE equivalents. Funnily enough, they didn't ask for my uni grades. :D

Really? I'm glad to hear that IB marks can be useful even two years later! What kind of internship is it, if I may ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, clauiblovelanguages said:

Really? I'm glad to hear that IB marks can be useful even two years later! What kind of internship is it, if I may ask?

It's in tax consultancy. And I finished the IB 4 years ago. 

Edited by Gaby
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, clauiblovelanguages said:

...job applications?

...job applications as a teacher?

...Master studies?

scholarships in the future?

I ask this because I don't need the mark for university and if the mark actually is only useful for coursing a degree and for any other thing it  will only be taken into account that I got the diploma, I don't know if it pays off to do the big effort that I am doing at the moment in order to get good marks.

Please tell me what do you think :)

I think it really depends on where you live.. Here in Canada, your IB marks don't really matter once you get to university. If employers are looking at grades, they will be looking at your university grades and grad schools also look at your university grades (Y) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.