English A1 HL Books

A lower score on IB English than if they were to have read the books. But school (and life in-general) is about self-motivation, if you're going to cut corners with this, you're going to continue to cut corners. 

And hey, those of us who read the books sometimes have the fortune of finding certain ones are—wait for it—enjoyable.

MUST you ask? 

How about: 1) little investment, 2) reduction in interesting and involved class discussion, 3) reduced personality

A wasted education. 

Consequences? Cynicism and mediocrity (getting the grades is all that matters ... Hey! anything to get to doctor's school or legal profession.)

So.  What kind of doc or lawyer are u gonna be? 

But, if you wanna join the mass of "educated" mediocrity, go ahead. Lots of these around. Your IB Diploma hanging on the wall will be all the more meaningful for what you put into it. 

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

Somebody is a bit mad. And I wasn't asking about THOSE type of consequences. Obviously their thought's and opinions wouldn't process properly. I was asking about the consequences during the exam, would IB be able to tell if my classmates didn't come up with these ideas themselves (by the way I don't think they would copy other analysis' word by word).

It is ridiculous I agree, but there always are some people in most generations that will do anything to get a reward like the diploma. 

Edited by IJustWanaPass

Well, you're at high school, so you don't need, and are not expected to, have completely original ideas - that's for university and later. So if they're good at writing essays, follow the criteria carefully, and can integrate the ideas of others well into their papers (I think its OK to also cite the ideas of others in the essay, although I'm not sure about this), then they should still be able to get a 6 or 7 without reading the book. Of course, that in itself takes work, as they still need to read through all the analyses and make sure their essay writing skills are up to par. If they don't read the book, ignore the criteria, and just skim Cliffnotes the day before the exam, they'll probably still do pretty badly anyways. 

It's not like those websites are bad in themselves or anything, and its still good to read through other analyses of the texts, especially those that may offer different insights, but they are most effective when used alongside the text. 

• Like 1