Mechanics Test

Chirag

Hello guys,

I have a mechanics test soon for physics hl. So far in my prep I have done tsokos text book questions, worksheets that my teacher has provided me and question bank questions. So should this be enough? I am asking this coz I know that Ib is really famous in surprising u in tests. I heard the tests will be completely different to whats taught in class. Please someone please give me more advice on this, I really want to do well in this test.

If you do past papers and the questionbank, and fully understand the syllabus, there really shouldn't be any major surprises. You do need to get used to "IB-style" questions, which can be done by doing what I've mentioned, but there's really only so much that can be changed while adhering to the syllabus. Keep in mind that it's supposed to be based off what's taught in class, as otherwise it would be silly to have class in the first place. Also, your mechanics test should be an in-school assessment that won't be counted towards the final IB mark. 

Edited by SC2Player
  • Like 1

@SC2Player Thanks so much for your response, and good luck in advance for ur upcoming exams!! ;)

Btw why are you saying that mechanics wont go towards my marks? I didnt understand that part our teacher has told nothing about this to us. Can u please explain.

Edited by Chirag

The final IB mark out of 45 is based purely off the external exams at the end of the IBDP, usually worth 80% for each subject, your internal assessments (IAs), usually worth 20% for each subject, and the three bonus points, based off your EE and ToK (marks are allocated according to a matrix; search "ib ee tok matrix" and look for the most recent one for more specific information). Your in-school tests, such as your mechanics test, are probably going to be used for school marks alone, and won't make up the final IB mark. Wikipedia provides more information on the specific scoring system, as well as here. Search online too for more information. 

Good luck with your mechanics exam too! 

• Like 1